Keeping cool

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

Inside our house, it's about 68-70. We have let Ezio and Altair out the past 2 nights. Both had pink ears last night so we put them up with semi chilled chillers and all was well. Tonight however, Ezio remained normal and active while Altair went pink quickly and just laid around on a chiller that always stays in the cage; his ears bright pink. I went to the freezer and pulled out a frozen chiller to put in the cage. He avoided it. And still is 15 minutes later. He's just been sitting on the normal cage chiller. His ears are quite as pink, but 15 minutes without moving, I'd expect normal. I've put Ezio away now as well, he's avoiding the cold chiller.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? Is there anything more I can do?

You may want to start limiting the time they are allowed out. Some chins just overdo it and don't know when to stop. I have one boy who I can only let out for a certain period of time. Usually after about 15 minutes he starts to get really overheated no matter what temperature the house is.

I have opened the freezer door and held a chin in front of it for a couple minutes to cool them down.

You can put their dust and dust house in the freezer, see if they like that. Don't over dust though or they will get dried out feet and ears

I do the same thing with the freezer, I also put them up to the AC for a minute if they get too hot, They love it.

With the extreme heat, I have been limiting playtime to only once or twice a week. The girls always have cool ears and feet and don't seem to overdue but I am just not comfortable with as hot and humid as it has been.

My boys love being held in front of the freezer or ac right after playtime too. They hate the chillers straight out of the freezer, I think it's because they get a little "sweaty". I always make sure to use one of the microfiber towels to wipe them off and then wrap them with a single layer of fleece all the way around. I put it in the cage with the fleece on it for about 10 mins and then take the fleece off. They sit on it with the fleece on it right out of the freezer and usually get mad when I go to take the fleece off of it.
We've also been limiting play time to 15 minutes or so and only 2 or 3 times a week instead of everyday like they would like.

I don't have humidity. And the Pacific northwest isn't having heat like the east coast (I'm so glad I moved!)

Right now, they're only being dusted once every 7-10 days. They just don't need it. I don't have a single layer of fleece. But I will go buy a half yard or something to try wrapping.

I agree with Stacie, I think they just don't know when to stop. It's a new room for them to play in, so there's just so much to do!

Check the remnants bin at the fabric store.
It could be that they are just over doing it, too. Trying to explore all the new stuff :D

Back