Keeping Chins from getting under liners?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffycupcake

New Chin Parent
I need a way to keep the girls from getting underneath their liners. That is ALL they do is go under the liners, all of the poop is under the liners as well as the pee and they are just crawling around in it. And then what ever poop is on top of the liner, it goes flying in the floor when they start digging to get under the liner. They also dump out their litter pans while crawling under there, so that is just more of a mess. Is there anyway to keep them out from under there? I'd thought about buying more granite tile pieces and laying it along the corners, I hate to do that but, I can't deal with this business going on for much longer. If I can't get it fixed somehow, I'll just have to put them back on shavings... they are making such a mess inside & outside of their cage. And I really hate to do that, knowing it'll just be a waste of money that I paid for the liners. :hair:

What tyoe of cage do you have? I have a tile in every corner with or without something on it like their log house, food dish, and litter. I've also made my fleece liners a few inches larger and am able to tuck it under the pull out wire floor that sits above the pull out tray.

First I have to say I'm sorry for having to laugh so hard at the thought of the first part of your post, imagining mass chaos with poo flying everywhere sounds like a nightmare!

And this is my terribly strange idea of fixing the problem. If they're getting underneath the liner from the sides and not the corners, could you Velcro the liner to the cage base seeing as you'd only take out the liner to clean the cage?

What tyoe of cage do you have? I have a tile in every corner with or without something on it like their log house, food dish, and litter. I've also made my fleece liners a few inches larger and am able to tuck it under the pull out wire floor that sits above the pull out tray.

I have a Ferret Nation, my liners won't tuck... they probably would if I didn't have the bass pans in there.

First I have to say I'm sorry for having to laugh so hard at the thought of the first part of your post, imagining mass chaos with poo flying everywhere sounds like a nightmare!

And this is my terribly strange idea of fixing the problem. If they're getting underneath the liner from the sides and not the corners, could you Velcro the liner to the cage base seeing as you'd only take out the liner to clean the cage?

You can get velcro and velcro the liner down :)

Haha, no worries on laughing. I was setting in the living room last night, which is where their cage is, and they started running around the cage and playing, then all of a sudden... they both dashed under the liner and I guess it created a sling shot affect. Poop went clear across the room. I was impressed with it. But, my boyfriend is a clean freak.. he is OCD about it. Haha. Anyways, I guess they thought it was pretty funny seeing their dad sweeping up their poop because they kept running under the same spot flinging even more poop out. :impatient:

I thought about velcro. If I decide to fix it, that'll probably be the way to go. And just hope they don't somehow get under the liner & then velcro themselves to the pan. Hah. For now I'm just going to put them back on the shavings & ponder it over, probably at least until the holidays are over. I guess if I just stick with the shavings, I might just give the liners to my chihuahua, so she'll have 4 new blankets, at least they won't just be setting around with no use.. which will make me feel better.. haha.

Last edited:
Ozzy gets up under his liner too. I've kinda given up on keeping him from getting under it. I figure hes either hot and under the liner is cooler ( even though hes has his granite stone that broke in 2) Hes a weird little bugger I can tell you that much

If you have a FN setup, you can get liners that wrap them like a pillow case. I use them on my double 182 setup, which you can see in the FN Club thread.

I bought my first set that matched the ladder covers from Ferret dot com, and just got an awesome new set (peace signs) done by Annio-0.

They are reasonably priced and super easy to keep clean with a shop vac.

Back