Keeping a Chinchilla cool?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylittlezoo22

As you know, I am looking to get a chinchilla this summer. How can I make sure it says cool? I have a rabbit so my room is kept very cool anyways,but just wondering on any tips fo chins? thanks :)

You could always invest in a window air conditioner, you can find them for around $120 at Wal-Mart.
Fans don't really help with chinchillas because they do not sweat, however if for some reason the power goes out, you could turn on the over head fan to circulate the air.

Another option (which is the coolest....pun intended) would be to build an air conditioner out of a bucket and fan. it costs around 10-20 dollars, me and my wife are going to do this soon. It's perfect to put in a room with a chinchilla...
check the youtube video out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

Ok thanks!! We run the AC all summer and I have a bedroom light/fan thats always on. I will have to try that! Looks awesome! What are the best tiles to use? Ive heard Marble, but I cant seem to find it here.

If you do not have central air and heat, I highly suggest using a window air conditioner or even a portable AC. Fans do no cool a chinchilla.

The bucket air conditioner is not the best option for a chin either as it don't see it keeping a room cool enough for a chin as the temps continue to rise.
Using it in a room where there is central air or a window unit would defeat the point of having it and use more electric than needed.
I'd have to see this thing keep a room cool enough for a chin (without the help of another unit of some kind) to believe it.
What happens if you are work for 8 hours and no one is home to change the ice inside? You'd have to get up every so many hours even through the night to change the ice inside?
Wouldn't be easier to put a window unit it and clean the filter periodically than change the ice every few hours?
It seems like more work than necessary, personally.
dreenbmp - I'd be interesting in hearing about your experiment with this when you try it.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind, there's cool...and then there's cool enough for a chinchilla. A few things to consider, and keep in mind as the temperatures rise...the best method is a window ac unit if you don't have central air. BUT be sure to have a back up method AND be sure to check frequently the temperature of the room and the ac unit to be sure it's working. I've heard of too many people losing animals either when the power went out or when their ac died. SO, my recommendations would be, get a window ac unit...and a as a back up, do you have a basement? Basements are the best for when the power goes out...period. Provided of course that the basement is below ground level and stays cool. I also would suggest things such as marble cooling slabs & frozen water bottles (emergency only for those). Best of luck dealing with the heat, it is THE biggest obstacle in owning chinchillas in warmer states

Most people recommend Window units when it comes to helping keep the room cool.

Another thing i'm worried about... You're chinchilla shouldn't be in the same room as a rabbit. Rabbits have many diseases that kill chinchilla's. I have read many times about the fact that they should be in a different room. You should also ALWAYS wash your hands before handling the chin if you have just handled the rabbit. Just a head's up :)

Good luck :)

Thanks everyone :)
Oh? I always wash my hands before and after touching any of my pets, and they would be on opposite sides of the room. The chin would even free range in a completely other area and no contact would be made. May I ask which diseases they are? Thanks :)

A nice thing to get is a temperature/humidity gauge. I have one I picked up at Walmart for about $10. It has two temperature readers (one in theory for outside, but i have the sensor on the other side of the room) and a humidity sensor. It even can keep track of the most extremes the room gets to in the last day or so. Just a nice thing in case the chin is in a room further from the thermostat or something. Also-keep track of humidity, high humidity isn't good, especially when combined with warmer temperatures. It may even be worth looking for a dehumidifier AC combo if you're getting something for the room anyways.

Hello! So it tends to get very hot where I live, so I have come up with many ways to keep Mabel cool.
First, a marble slab should be kept in the cage at all times. I bought 4 square marble slabs from the Home Depot for around $7. If you can't find those, you can always order a chinchiller or check your local pet store for one.
I read online that if the next day is going to be hot, place your marble slab in the freezer and let it freeze overnight! Then in the morning wipe any frost that might be on it away, and place it in the cage. It is much cooler, and I know Mabel loves to rub her head all over it.
I am not sure if you use fleece or not, but I do. I grab an ice pack and put it under the fleece. Then I move it to her hide away. She loves that so she can stay in her hide away and still be cool.
I hope these ideas help! XOXO

Back