Keeping a Bonded Male And Female Pair Together

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbee

RIP Boog <3
I'm thinking about bringing in a re-home chin (or two).

This person is fostering a lot of chins, but I'm contemplating a single tan male and a male/female pair, the male is neutered.

My first instinct was the pair, because I thought the companionship would be good for them and fun to watch. They are both 2.5 years old and have been together all that time and are bonded. But then I started reading about how even bonded pairs can start fighting one day and you have to separate them, if one doesn't get killed before you can get them apart. That terrified me!!

What are your opinions on this?

Even best friends of 30 years can have a fight. Its not a dissimilar concept.
I wouldn't let that be the single factor that stops you tho.

A good precaution tho, would be to have another cage handy just in case such a thing would ever happen. That way they could be separated at a moments notice. (One reason i personally love the Ferret Nation cages. Cover the opening to the second floor, and you suddenly have two good sized cages.)

They are animals. Sometimes they love each other all their lives and sometimes they turn on each other. I will say this - it has been rare for me to have a male/female pair turn on each other after they have been together for a long time. If they did, it was because of some weird outside influence not because they suddenly hated each other.

Always, always have that spare cage ready, or the ability to separate a cage into 2 parts, but I wouldn't let it deter me from adopting a pair that I really wanted, especially since he has been castrated.

Back