Kack!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarinuto

chin smitten
All my chinnies know that when it's feeding time, it's also daily treat time. So most of them, when I come in to feed, excitedly watch and stick their noses out or stand on their back legs and perch against the side of the cage to try to make it known that they want their special treats.

Except one!! My little man, Everest.

Everest joined the family a while ago. He was formerly in a ranch setting where he wasn't used to getting lots of attention and he was not all that thrilled about the new amount of attention.

Every night during treat time, while everyone else tries tirelessly to be the cutest to get their treats first, Everest sat in the corner of his cage giving me the stink eye. I would save him for last, and sit holding a treat patiently next to the cage bars (I didn't even look directly at him to try not to scare him). He would look at me and think, "Really? Stupid human. I know better than to trust you!"

He would back away from the treat, run toward the treat, kack at me, back away from me, run toward the treat, kack at me and.... rinse and repeat. After being kacked at a few times, I would just smile at him, tell him that it was okay, and set his treat in his dish (which would mysteriously disappear the second that I left the room).

A couple days ago, for the first time... he didn't kack at me, but grabbed the treat and ran!! :bliss:

And since then, it's like he suddenly realized that I'm not the destroyer of the universe. He will even let me pet him for a moment before running to hide in his little cubby. Crazy... I know!

It was seriously a 180 degree change in behavior. Here I had prepared myself for many more months of kacking.... not that I'm disappointed to see it go. :thumbsup:

Anyone else have instances of sudden turnarounds?

:congrats7:

When I first got one of my girls, Ella, she so shy and skittish. Now she's a crazy outgoing little lady :)) Like a completly different chin!

I'm still waiting for my turnaround. Artie still thinks I'm going to eat her. She has moments of being sweet, then remembers I'm ebill and kacks at me. :wacko: I'll wear her down, eventually. :p

Gray-- Isn't it so exciting when they finally soften a little! I love it :) So rewarding!

Cindy, I'm sure that Artie will learn to love you too :) Some are tougher cookies than others, LOL (Everest was a pretty tough cookie for quite some time!)

I had one rescue, Starla, that sprayed me for just walking by her cage, kacked and tried to bite me if I put my hand anywhere near her cage. I had to carry a towel to cover her up with just to feed the poor girl. She did this to anyone who walked by. :hair:

Then one day I had a friend stop over with her 16 year old daughter, she asked to see the chins so I sent her to the room ahead of me, I forgot to warn her about Starla....but when I got there she had her arm in the cage and was petting Starla who was leaning into it in classical chinny style.....as soon as Starla saw me the pee came flying and boy was she kacking like crazy....needless to say I adopted her out to my friends teenager because I'd had to deal with this for several months and this was the first time she met this girl LOL

Starla and Brit are still the best of friends and enjoy each others company, Starla even rides on her shoulder!!!! :cry3: wish it was me...oh well they are both happy!

Our little Vincenza is pretty skittish but she's young. She has started exploring my face though (tiny paws on cheeks!!!!) No kacking, just running away! But she takes a while to forgive me for burrito-ing her!

Latest posts

Back