just wondering...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutherford

i peer into your soul
Do any of you recommend changing up the shelving arrangements inside the cage from time to time? Or is it better to keep everything in exactly the same place so as to not freak your chinchilla out? The first time I cleaned Rutherford's fuzzy tube (I had to remove the fleece to put it in the washer, and of course, replace it with another fleece), he kept trying to jump from the shelf to the mini shelf as if he was going through the tube. So instead of landing safely, he'd fall and freak out. I took it as a sign that I shouldn't change the arrangements... what do you guys think?

Also, I'm having a hard time holding him. He's now comfortable enough with me that he'd climb all over my arms, come to me if I extend my hands inside his hands, and not freak out if I stroke his fur or give him scratches/massages under his chin and on the sides of his face. But whenever I get close to actually holding him, he'd make this noise and squirm. And upon hearing that noise, I'd release my hold of him because I think I might be hurting him. Should I be more assertive and just hold him? How do you approach your chinchilla when you're trying to hold him? I know you're supposed to put a hand under his bum so his feet will have some support, but every time I try to do it, he runs away. Any advice?

Any of you recommend aspen shaving as the bedding? Carefresh smells really bad to begin with (or maybe it's just my nose), so I'm thinking of changing it to some sort of woodsy shavings.

Thanks, and I hope everyone is enjoying their friday night! :D

Do any of you recommend changing up the shelving arrangements inside the cage from time to time?
I leave mine the same all the time. unless replacing shelves

Or is it better to keep everything in exactly the same place so as to not freak your chinchilla out? The first time I cleaned Rutherford's fuzzy tube (I had to remove the fleece to put it in the washer, and of course, replace it with another fleece), he kept trying to jump from the shelf to the mini shelf as if he was going through the tube. So instead of landing safely, he'd fall and freak out. I took it as a sign that I shouldn't change the arrangements... what do you guys think?
It is safer to leave the cage as they know it.

Also, I'm having a hard time holding him. He's now comfortable enough with me that he'd climb all over my arms, come to me if I extend my hands inside his hands, and not freak out if I stroke his fur or give him scratches/massages under his chin and on the sides of his face. But whenever I get close to actually holding him, he'd make this noise and squirm.
chinchillas don't really like being held. they like scritches and some petting but they don't like being held

And upon hearing that noise, I'd release my hold of him because I think I might be hurting him. Should I be more assertive and just hold him? How do you approach your chinchilla when you're trying to hold him?
I hold them by the base of their tail. and let them rest on my arm or shoulder.

I know you're supposed to put a hand under his bum so his feet will have some support, but every time I try to do it, he runs away. Any advice?
the more you hold him the more he will squirm to get away

Any of you recommend aspen shaving as the bedding? Carefresh smells really bad to begin with (or maybe it's just my nose), so I'm thinking of changing it to some sort of woodsy shavings.
a
I would not use carefresh IMPO it is dangerous I have personally seen impactions due to carefresh. I use pine

Latest posts

Back