Just neutered.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittneyk13

Daisy🌺
So I just picked up my chin from being neutered and he looks terrible...the vet said he kept messing with his stitches so they put an e-collar on him. He is all red and swollen down there I feel so bad. He seems so out of it...just wondering if this is normal following a neuter?

I had many chins neutered but no complications no swelling or redness. Was your vet experienced? Do he tell you to give him metacam (pain killer)? I would keep an eye on him. My vet waits until they are out of anesthia (sp?) before they go home.

The vet has neutered many chins and other small animals (so he says). And Yeah they gave me metacam to give to him for the next 7 days. They told me the surgery went really well and that turbo did great. But he hasn't eaten or pooped yet however he did pee a little. I just don't know if I'm being too paranoid.

Okay I will try hand feeding him some critical care...there is one small little poop in his cage now is that a good sign?

The e collar was preventing him from eating...he literally could not put the food in his mouth. I took it off and he is eating a little now and so far he hasn't bothered with the area. Idk what to do put it back on or leave it off?

I agree that you need to hand feed him. He might be a little out of it for a couple of days and with the collar on it is going to be hard for him to eat. Watch the incision spots the redness should go away If it doesn't. Then there might be infection. He needs intensive care for a few days.

I don't understand why vets can't do it like my vet does. When my vet stitches an animal up there are no visible stitches..... I'll have to ask what that type of stitching is called.

It's currently 7 am... I gave him his pain meds and watched him eat a few pieces of hay and a couple pellets. There is also one more small poop. He seems more active. I tried hand feeding but it's so hard he freaks out! I left a message with the vet I'm really scared at this point.

Hand feeding gets easier but is necessary after surgery most times, imo. I burrito chins and just feed small amounts often until they get better at it. Some chins do better with it more runny to start off I have found. And some even like it warm. Just take your time and it will work. I have a dental chin that took ages to get hang of it. Now he is a pro.

Back