Just my luck

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

So I have been in Ecuador since Jan. 3rd doing a study abroad trip to complete my spanish credit for school. Well everything was going well until I got sick. On Thursday I go a fever and started coughing. Yesterday I was feeling even worse. I barely made it to my class, I thought I was going to pass out walking through the campus. A classmate helped me find one of the program coordinators and they took me to the hospital. Turns out I have
H1N1 :( I got the vaccine but in Oct but this is new strand. I was suppose to leave on Wednesday but I might have to stay until Thursday or Friday. We have to get intouch with the US Embassy to find out for sure. I can not go back to the university either, so I will be missing 3 classes and I am not sure if I will get my credits. I really hope they work something out for me so I can get my credits, otherwise I spent almost $4000 to just to get H1N1! And I won't be able to graduate on time. This really stinks!!

OMG!!! Please don't worry about class right now!!! You have H1N1 and you need to first get better before you do anything else!!! Wow you poor thing! I was in Ecuador last year and loved every minute of it (only 16 days). I am also jealous of you going to class there!!! Maybe someone from your class can bring you your work and work something out by phone with your teachers in order to graduate?? Please get better and I will be praying for you!

You getting sick is not something you can really control. You even got the vaccine. I would assume they would do the same thing they do when people take medical leave (which I have no idea what that would be, but it's something). You might be able to do independent work to get your credits.

I wouldn't worry about it, honest. You need to relax and get healthy. There is not much you can do about it now, just wait it out and try to be calm. The sooner you get better, the sooner you can leave and go back to school.

Maybe you can email your advisor and ask what your options are if it'll ease your mind knowing what you can do and email your teachers and tell them about what is going on, they may be able to help. At least in my experience, teachers and administrators really do try to help you out if you just ask and explain the situation to them. So email people (if you can), drink plenty of clean water, rest and be happy that instead of 2 feet of snow outside you have alpacas!!

Hang in there Suzi, you have to focus on yourself getting better. It sucks that you got sick but I'm hopeful the teachers there in Ecuador will have some sympathy and try and work things out with you. You did get some amazing pics and I'm sure some great memories as well.

I have two doctor appointments on Monday, I am keeping my fingers crossed I will get the okay to fly home on Wednesday. I have had a nice time (besides the whole sick thing) but I am ready to come back home.

Wow that sucks. Get well soon. The flu is no fun. I am not a fan of flu vaccines since it's all hit or miss and just a guess as to what is going on and they didn't really test that new 3 in one like i think they should have.

Keep yourself well hydrated to help fight it off.

thank you for all the well wishes :)

Good news, I have been cleared to fly out and I am in fact leaving today :D I am very excited to return home. I have missed my critters soooooo much.

I saw yet another doctor on Monday and he does not believe I have or ever had H1N1, woohoo! From what I understand H1N1 is a subtype of influenza A. I tested positive for influenza A, but that doesn't mean I have H1N1 I can just have another less serious form of influenza A.

WOOOO!!!!! Sweet beans!!

So why were you told you had H1N1 if they only knew you had a type A? Maybe people just assumed if it's prominent where you are.

Either way..good news. So can you go to your classes and graduate on time now?

WOOOO!!!!! Sweet beans!!

So why were you told you had H1N1 if they only knew you had a type A? Maybe people just assumed if it's prominent where you are.

Either way..good news. So can you go to your classes and graduate on time now?

Yep, I have no idea... I am honestly still very confused about everything. It didn't help that their was a language barrier be between myself and the doctors. I know very basic spanish, I can order a meal, tell you about my family etc. but medical stuff is way over my head. I did have teachers with me (most of the time) to translate but it still isn't easy to understand everything. The America embassy called me on the last day that I was there. My mom had called them on Friday when she found out I was in the hospital. The people from the embassy where very nice and wanted to make sure I was okay and see if I needed anything. Oh and yes, I will get credit because I went back to school on Monday and took my final exam on Tuesday :dance3:

I am feeling much better. Thank you again everyone for the well wishes. I really did enjoy my time but it is nice to be home in my own bed after almost 3 weeks away. I do already miss the weather and the views. Ecuador really is a beautiful country and the people were all very nice and helpful.

Most of the quick tests for H1N1 when it was going around the US just tested for Type A. It was then assumed that it was H1N1 until the lab tests could come back.

Latest posts

Back