Just got my first chin!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taywin

So i just got my first chin. Shes adorable, but she is very very scared still. its her second day in her new home and she runs and hides in the corner when i approach her. I've taken some time to sit by the cage and talk to her so she'll get used to me, but at the slightest move she just runs away and hides. Just wondering how long this is going to keep happening. I read up to a week or so for her to settle in? I dont wanna stress her out to much or anything should i not even try to start introducing myself yet?

It took Jackie at least three weeks to adjust to our home. He had just been to a show, didn't handle it well and than he had a new home. For the first week we only fed and watered him. Eventually he got curious about us and started to be interested but it did take a long time. You also may want to have a radio or TV on for her at night so there is ambient noise and every sound won't scare her as much.

Congrats on your new chin. Sit beside her and talk softly. When you put feed in her cage do it slowly. Gradually leave your hand in there to explore. Some take days to come around, some longer. It's worth the wait.

I feel like she's slowly coming around. Slowly. She's still very scared but she doesnt run as fast when i approach the cage now. Baby steps! :)

at first id say give her a month or two. Every chin reacts differently. Some can come around quick, other can take a very long time. As for getting rid of it completely, that is unlikely; at least judging form my 5 lol. They are prey animals and therefor highly skittish. So they will always have that natural instinct to run.

It can take months really, it just depends on the chin. Just take your time and don't force anything. You have to be extremely patient with a new chin.

I just got my chinchillas yesterday. When i was going to change their bedding one of them came out. I try to grab him but he keeps on running away. He is fine with me petting and he comes to me but when I try to grab him he runs. How do I get him back to the cage?

Try putting the dust bath on the floor and get him to go in it. Then just pick up the whole thing and take it to the cage.

It's frustrating, but it's like anything, it takes time. You will probably need weeks to bond and talk and take little tiny baby steps. I am sure you and your best friend didn't just become besties in two days. Like any relationship, it takes time and effort and it's wonderfully worth it. Congrats and I hope, after a few weeks, we get to see some pics of your new chinnie!

I found it helpful to keep a radio on in her room, to help desensitize her to noises. I've been lucky, as she became friendly pretty quickly, but here we are almost 10 months later, and she still is very creeped out be being picked up or held.

Back