Just dropped Astrid at the vet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyronymph

Thursday morning was playtime as usual. By the time I was ready for bed Thursday night Astrid had a large lump on the right side of her face. I called the vet Friday morning, they said they couldn't fit me in until Tuesday, unless I went to the emergency hospital. Astrid seemed to be eating and drinking normally, (I separated her from the other girls to make sure) and pooing quite well, so I took the appointment. Over the last few days I noticed she, being only able to chew on one side of her mouth, was leaving pellet crumbs around her bowl, so I started syringe feeding to make sure she was getting at least something in her system.

Well, I took her in today and the vet (who I've only been to once before, when I took Astrid in for sneezing and watery eyes. Cleared up on antibiotics) admitted her for surgery, to drain the abscess. She said she was also going to "look at her molars, since that's the only way to tell, we may have to pull a tooth." She talked so fast that I didn't have time to process everything all at once, and didn't think until she left the room that she said nothing of xrays (which I told the vet tech I wanted before she did anything with teeth).

I remember someone saying on here, I think, about extractions being bad b/c of the other teeth moving and ending up crooked. Am I wrong? Should I call the vet and make sure that they don't do that?

I feel more sick to my stomach than anything. She's the only exotics vet in the area that I know of, but I'm not really sure that she knows what she's doing... And I definitely don't like being brushed aside b/c I'm just the owner and thereby have no idea what she'd be talking about... ya know what I mean?

If the chin needed a extraction I would want the x-ray first, then I would want the chin to have that abscess cleared up first with antibiotics, then at a separate appointment have it reevaluated with a xray. The only time I would have it done at one time is if the tooth was already loose and the vet could just pluck it out, then I would want baytril injectable and tramadol for pain. When anytime a tooth is extracted there is high risk of things going wrong and add to the fact this tooth has a huge abscess the risk of fracture of the bone is real along with bone infections. After the fact, the chin could malocclude due to the missing tooth space and the upper tooth and adjacent teeth tipping to fill the space. Extractions are a last resort IMO.

i may be wrong but i dont think its a good idea to pull teeth unless you absolutely have to. also if you wanted xrays 1st then they should have done the xrays.

I'm in Central central Pa... Selinsgrove area. I would love to know if there are other more experienced vets in the area. I would prefer not to have to drive to State College or Harrisburg if I don't have to. Depending on how this goes, that may be my best option though.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them. It's driving me nuts!

Just brought Astrid home! The vet said that they drained the abscess, and a rotten tooth "pretty much fell out right into" her hand. She said all the other teeth look good, gave me 10 days worth of Enrofloxacin ( .01 mL every 12 hrs) and scheduled Astrid back next week.

Its good the vet was able to just pluck it out, and that you have the baytril. She will most likely need to be hand fed until the baytril is done, between the nasty baytril and the nasty abscess taste and the missing tooth she will need to be watched closely for eating. In the future, meaning 8 weeks out keep a eye on her weight, if you notice a slow gradual weight loss she may need filings in the future-the opposing tooth may grow down into the missing space or the adjacent teeth may tip into it. Some chins it does, some it doesn't but you need to be aware of the potential.

Its good the vet was able to just pluck it out, and that you have the baytril. She will most likely need to be hand fed until the baytril is done, between the nasty baytril and the nasty abscess taste and the missing tooth she will need to be watched closely for eating. In the future, meaning 8 weeks out keep a eye on her weight, if you notice a slow gradual weight loss she may need filings in the future-the opposing tooth may grow down into the missing space or the adjacent teeth may tip into it. Some chins it does, some it doesn't but you need to be aware of the potential.

Thanks Dawn. Surprisingly, she loves the meds. But, yes, I do intend to keep a very close eye on her food consumption and continue syringe feeding if I have to. Any tips on the best way to get chins to hold still on a scale to get a good reading? I tried giving a small treat, but they just pick it up and try to run with it. haha...

My chins tooth also fell right out. :(

When I weigh my boys, I kinda keep my hand over their body & get a quick reading. Usually works.

Dont forget you need to be giving a really high count probiotic when you give antibiotics and they need to be spaced at least two hours apart to be effective. Benebac is my favorite because the chins love it.

ETA - yes be sure to watch the eating because every chin Ive given antibiotics to had to be handfed in the end. I think it depresses their appetite and with the sore mouth that will surely compound things.

Ok, so it seems last night the abscess started to drain out and is gooping up her fur. I tried a warm compress, but that didn't seem to help much. Any suggestions on the best way to clean her up so it doesn't get infected again?

Latest posts

Back