Just did my good "rescue" deed for the year :-/

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

*Sigh*. I won't get into how I know this lady, but lets just say I found out she was keeping a 10 year old Collie x Bernese Mountain Dog mix in a 5ft x 5ft cage 24/7 most days, or if not in there then outside in this 90+ degree heat (without any shelter he could fit into) for periods of a few days at a time. He's been kept like that for the past 3+ years. IMO that's cruel for any dog, but especially for one with a typical Bernese coat. I told her I'd take him and I went and picked him up today.

His coat was SO matted. I don't know when the last time he was groomed. He had old feces matted to his hind end. He acted as if his ears hurt so I figured they were infected. Surprisingly he was up to date on the core vaccines.

We had him an hour before we took him to his vet appt. His ears are really badly infected, so they were cleaned and we are applying medication 2x a day. His eyes are slightly clouded... and at the time of the vet appt (he still had all his hair at this point) we could feel one fatty tumor.

Right from the vet he went to the groomer, who was nice enough to squeeze us in. They couldn't do anything to save his coat because it was so matted, so he was completely shaved down everywhere besides his head... he looks kinda funny now. It took almost 4 hours to get him groomed. Now that he is shaved, you can see that he has TONS of tumors everywhere (sides, stomach, back). I'm hoping they are just fatty tumors that dogs get as they age (our basset hound has a few). The vet just wants to watch them for now. You can tell though, that he already feels SO much better shaved.

He's such a great dog... so far he seems to be house trained, he knows a few commands, and will stick around with us in the yard. He gets along great with our other dogs (I know you should quarantine, but we don't have the set up for that and our vet felt he was healthy aside from your typical older dog issues) and is so, so, so sweet. My parents want to eventually adopt him out, but I'm working on trying to convince them to keep him for at least the next year until I can get a place at school that allows dogs and can take him with me. I'm secretly hoping that nobody wants a 10 year old dog with all these tumors and grooming needs Regardless of whether we keep him or adopt him out, I'm just glad that I was able to get him out of that situation. I just hope he knows that he has the good life now

I've always hated the idea of people owning dogs and then leaving them 24/7 in a small cage. Why own the dog? It is cruel and I'm so happy, as I am sure he is, too, that you saved him from this situation. Thank you for rescuing him and giving him the opportunity at a better life!

I don't understand people. Why have a dog or any pet for that matter that you refuse to pamper or even spend time with?

Thanks for taking him and getting him fixed up.

That makes me smile...thanks! Im sure he knows how lucky he is. Ummm, we need to see pics of this wonderful old fellow!!

That makes me smile...thanks! Im sure he knows how lucky he is. Ummm, we need to see pics of this wonderful old fellow!!

Here's the only pic I have of him on the computer right now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43390118@N07/5965852708/in/photostream

I'll get some more once my camera battery charges.

Oh, question. The groomer and vet both told us to put sunscreen on him until some of his coat grows back. Do we just use regular sunscreen or is there something specifically for dogs that we should use?

They make sunscreens for dogs...I have seen it at Petsmart. But you can also use baby sunscreens. Just stay away from anything with zinc oxide it in.

He is adorable :D

He looks beautiful, even without his fur! I can't wait to see another pic of him when his coat is fully back.

Glad you have him.
Some years back our friends had a donkey show up in their yard. They have 15 acres and keep horses.
Melissa had the black smith coming the next day and had his curling hooves taken off. She was livid! And she knew where this donkey came from. She said he was alone in an over grown field in the area. Never saw his feet.
Months later the people finally noticed he was gone. Looked around and found him at Melissa's place. She told them they could have him back for the price of his hoove removal and vet check. Never heard from them for a while. Then the teen of the family came to her months later and said she could keep him. That he was better off.

The donkey was named Charlie. He was ancient. And he was so darned happy being with her horses. And the horses liked him too. He put on weight and filled out. Was brushed all the time. And loved kids. Melissa and her husband do not have children. But I have a daughter. Charlie loved standing for my daughter and being loved on. And my favorite was watching her husband offer him a cookie from time to time.
Charlie passed away last year. He was buried on the farm. He was a complete gentleman and greatly loved. We were the "lucky ones."

Awww... he is so adorable! Kinda looks like he's one of those soldiers wearing a bearskin (one of those British soldier fuzzy tall hats) on his head.

I hope things are going well for him.

Back