Just bought a new chinchilla flying saucer and its amazing!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah2000

Hello, i just thought i would give you all this link as someone mentioned they had not seen this flying saucer before.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I8KX1NM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway its just arrived about a hour ago and my chins have been running like crazy on it. I thought it would take them ages to work it out because they have always had a wheel. Anyway they love their new plate and have been stayiing up way past bedtime to run on it. One of my chins never ran on the old wheel and now they are both useing this. It seems really well made and is almost silent and i thought the price is brilliant.

flying saucer type wheels are quite nice indeed. Im sure they love it.
The item description says its metal. Is that true?

Yes its metal, it weighs quite a bit, but the bonus to this is it does not bounce about when they go really fast. I got the largest one they do, that is more than large enough, it does take up a bit of room in the cage, but i have just added little perches above the wheel so it does not feel like to much space is lost. II will take a pic and add it when they wake up and go on it.

I looked everywhere online for a flying saucer and they were really expensive or plastic, partner typed in the search engine on amazon running plate and it came strait up.

Hey sarah!
I'm from Portugal, and I've been looking everywhere for a flying saucer. It seems they only sell them in the US. The ones I could find here were all in plastic. Except that one you bought from Amazon. I also found it today, amazingly! I noticed there's a smaller version. I'm really thinking about getting it, because I don't think I'll be able to get a metal one anywhere else. Could you please review it? How big is it? Does it make any kind of noise? How does it attach to the cage, etc... Any info would be apreciated. Also, a picture would help a lot. I don't know if I should get that one, or the smaller one. My cage is 79 x 52 x 140 cm.

Last edited:
The chinchilla wheel has been a huge success with the chins, they have learnt to use it quite quickly. Unfortunalty it does not fix to the cage which is a shame because it comes on a stand the stand is also metal and is fixed securely to the wheel.

The wheel makes no noise on a solid surface, however i have a wire mesh bottom on my cage and it was making noise off of that and was also slipping, what i have done is added a bit of wood under the cage mesh in the dropping draw to stop the bottom of the cage bouncing when they get it going, and then i have put a bit of fleece under the wheel to stop it slipping and that has worked great.

All in all considering how pricey they can be this is a great buy, and mine have sent hours on it already and we have only had it 2 days.

Another plus side is my chins have also found 2 other uses for it, they lay on it which i think cools them down when they get hot as it is a nice cold surface, and they sleep under it, they have not used their nesting box since it arrived.

I would highly recommend this wheel and will get some photos tonight, unfortuanlty i have to use the flash on my camera which spooks them and they run off so i am yet to get a good picture.

I am not sure how big the smaller one is but this one is plenty big enough.

the maker appears to be German as its a German label, if i send what is says on the label of the wheel then maybe you could get someone to translate it, im sure we have someone fluent in German on here, then you could ring the manufacturer direct and they may ship

haha, you learn something new everyday.

Im guessing if the wheel is german engineering its bound to be good lol, i only buy german cars cos they go on forever haha

If they ship to Portugal I'm sure I'll get one. It actually looks amazing and good quality, so I guess it's well worth the price you pay. And since you gave it such a nice review...

Interesting!

I've seen plastic ones at pet shops but haven't seen a metal one. I might look into getting one later on down the road. I currently have a normal metal wheel which he likes. Yet when he runs too fast, it moves and he stops running.

This might solve that problem.

Yeah it is good, and i figure it will last years, which makes it worth it in the long run.

Back