Just a questions about my cage...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvoryBolt

Would this be okay for a baby? As in bar spacing...and what kind is it? I got it for a super good price...

For babies I wouldn't let them get up too high as there is a risk for injury.

The bar spacing looks too big, depending on the size of the baby. To be safe you may want to attach hardware cloth to the cage so babies can't escape.

Also if the shelves are plastic I would replace with wood or make fleece covers for them.

What age is the chin you have/are getting?
And do you have measurements for the bar spacing?

For babies I wouldn't let them get up too high as there is a risk for injury.

The bar spacing looks too big, depending on the size of the baby. To be safe you may want to attach hardware cloth to the cage so babies can't escape.

Also if the shelves are plastic I would replace with wood or make fleece covers for them.

What age is the chin you have/are getting?
And do you have measurements for the bar spacing?

The shelves are metal and removable, and will have fleece coverings. I had planned on actually folding this cage down so it's only half this size =3 The baby was born on May 19, and I'll be getting him around the middle of July/early august, so pretty young. It was fine for my rescue, but I started thinking about the baby..I haven't measured (i keep forgetting to, will measure tonight...I think it's about an inch. I'll cover with hardware mesh, that's easy enough.

Looks like the bar spacing is too big for babies. You could always cover it in mesh.

Yeah, i think i'm going to cover with mesh xD

looks like that bar spacing is 1 inch. I can tell you from personal experience that 1 inch spacing is the same as no cage for a baby. They can slip through that like its not even there.

Also a word of warning, as the baby grows they are still good at slipping through that. Even when it starts to look like they are to big, they usually can. And if a chin has done it once, they will keep trying. Which is dangerous even as they get bigger because they might try and get stuck half way through. Then they will panic and can seriously hurt themselves. - So you definitely want something smaller then 1 inch for sure.

Hahaha, I'm glad I thought of this before he came home xD I love this cage, so I may make a mesh cover for it until he's much bigger and I know he can't fit out xD Rou couldn't fit through it, so I'll wait until this baby is the same size as he was. Unless I can find someone who will trade me cages/sell theirs.

...anyone have some tips on how to attach some mesh? xD

Also, is there a way to make it into a slide out instead of a drop pan, without making the bottom into wire mesh? And what kind of cage this is so I can get a new pan? (it still works, but has some spots where ferret urine has started to eat away at the bottom in one of the corners.)

Last edited:
I would also like to know how people attach the mesh. I have two babies I will be picking up early August hopefully (one male mosaic born April 28th and one male black velvet born June 9th.. So mine will be close to the same age as yours!)

I was thinking of leaving their mesh on the upper level until they are 4-6 months when I let them into the bottom half as well.

I think I've seen people attach them with zipties, but I feel like the babies might chew them?

I used zipties to cover my cage(though I only covered it to keep the cats paws out). He didn't bother with them at all. They're small enough that he didn't notice them.

Ive never used mesh so i dont no about how to connect it. But iir, you want to make sure it is placed on the inside of the bars, not the outside. Other wise they can still try to get through the bar and hurt themselves.

Ive never used mesh so i dont no about how to connect it. But iir, you want to make sure it is placed on the inside of the bars, not the outside. Other wise they can still try to get through the bar and hurt themselves.

Oh most definitely. I had planned on putting it inside, just makes sense that way =3 but thanks ^-^

Now to see if i can't make this bad boy a slide out instead of a drop in xD

Okay, so I used chicken wire, as it's VERY easy and cheap to access here! I couldn't get it on the inside, so I basically doubled up on the outside. I used steel wire to secure it to the outside, and I had him in the cage with me right there to test the weak spots (cheeky bugger didn't even care if I was in the room). 2 days and we're escape proof, so It's working great! I'll take pics later if anyone wants to see how I did it. The doors were the hardest part xD

Back