Just a few things

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkatxrinax

Hi everyone,

I've had my chins for nearly a year and a half now, i've had them since they were 4 months old, they're both girls and I love them so much... more than most people x) I just have a few worries... I don't know if i'm being an over clingy chinparent and these are my first chins so I thought i'd vent my worries to you more experienced chin owners :)

Firstly my chins are spoilt... I give them everything and i'm very careful about what they shouldn't have, but I feel like they just walk all over me (literally too but I love that xD) I feel like they don't see me as their mum, I don't know if this is normal which is why I thought i'd ask.

For instance if I try to give them attention they'll push my hand away like "what are you doing get out of my way" and try to bite me if that doesn't work (not very hard but not affectionate either), they're not scared of me.. in fact they're not scared of anything.. xD they jump on my head during playtime they sit on my lap one of them will sleep on my lap. They don't like pets they'll back away or walk around my hand if I try and I know some chins just don't like it but the odd time I do get the opportunity to give them scritches they seem to enjoy it for a second and then the defiance comes back.

Picking them up is a no and I understand chins are a prey animal and most hate it, but I see so many chins that let their parents pick them up I always wonder how they let them :eek: I've posted before about teaching them to be held and I've been following everyones advise but now i'm wondering if it's worth stressing them out to train them? or should I just keep transporting them on my shoulder? I was just worried about any possible medical emergencies and not being able to give them check ups which is the main reason why i've been trying to get them used to handling.

Sorry for the long post I'm just worried they don't love me much even though I give them everything and then i'm worried i'm just being clingy and should let them be the stubborn little divas that they are xD Don't get me wrong I respect them and love them unconditionally even without them showing any affection towards me. They are my babies no matter what and my love is unconditional. I love chinchillas,I've had many pets as I used to help my mother run an animal rescue and I must say chinchillas are my absolute favourite. Anyways ya other peoples experiences and opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

While i'm here just thought i'd introduce my chins properly too ^_^ seeing as i'm new here and haven't done that yet :) their names are Cinnamon and Vanilla. I called them that because cinnamon is fiery and feisty but still very sweet, and vanilla is more bouncy and happy and sweet. Cinnamon is the standard and vanilla is the violet one :)

Attachments

• 2013-06-05 18.46.46.jpg
    2013-06-05 18.46.46.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 31
Well... They are animals first and foremost, and you aren't their mother. I never understand why people want to treat pets as children anyway. I have the same thing with my chins, because, once again, they're animals! It's not 'defiance', they just aren't tactile like cats and dogs.
Perhaps you should see yourself as part of the herd, rather than their parent? I was having trouble with mine not touching me until recently when I 'groomed' them in the same way that they groom each other, very very light pinching type motions and only a few. Mine seem to really enjoy it and often nibble me back. Also I make sure to greet them by sniffing around their noses when they come out to play.
Some people might have chinchillas that allow them to manhandle them, but the majority of chinchillas wont like it. I've learned to appreciate being allies with my chinchillas, rather than expecting them to want kisses and cuddles and a 'parent/child' relationship.
Just a thought :)

I appreciate your thoughts and understand where you are coming from :) I guess I get a bit motherly with them because I don't have children yet and to me they are my dependents so I think of them as my kids...I'm probably broody xD but I'm a bit too young and not financially secure enough yet to have actual kids so i'm probably projecting that onto my chins x) I do try to be like a chin with them though :eek: I try to make chin noises (badly) and I do the sniffing their nose thing and they like that... i'll try the grooming thing like you do later during playtime :) thank you~

Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. All chins have different behaviors. Three of my girls do the same thing. Try to pet them and the just brush your hands off to the side with there. Just there way of saying they don't want that right now, it seems.

Most chins Ive seen don't like being picked up. But it they seem to register being picked up, and hoping around/climbing on someone as two different things. None of mine rly like being picked up. One is even extremely scared of it, but they will all hop and run all over you when they are out.

And on that note, my one male who is especially afraid of being picked up, Ive had for 5~7 years, just walked out onto my hand (effectively letting me hold him) last night. It was only for a few seconds before he bolted back in the cage. But it was still amazing.

Aha! I've tried to make happy chinchilla squeaks myself before! My two just look at me while standing on their hind legs wondering why I'm impersonating a demented guinea pig! :D

Thank you for your feedback, these are my first chinchillas so i'm not very experienced when it comes to their behavior :) and when I saw other ones being held and enjoying pets online I was wondering if I was doing something wrong when it came to giving them attention and care, I love my chins personalities they're so full of character and it never ceases to amaze me just how individual they are and now I know they just aren't the petty types :) I love it when cinnamon falls asleep on my lap during playtime and i get to rest my hand on her soft little back, makes me so happy :D I think vanilla is ticklish which is why she hates being touched... is this common? whenever I touch her she'll rub her face or where i've touched her like it tickles :hmm:

And ya my two look at me like i'm totally mad when I try to make their noises, I keep doing it cause the look on their faces cracks me up :D

She might be ticklish or she's just trying to rub your scent off of her. My new baby does this every time I pet her or have t pick her up. She shakes like a dog getting water off of itself then runs her nose and whiskers.

some chins don't like being touched in certain areas for what ever reason. My oldest male hates being touched on the back half of his body (near his legs and back.) I think because he associates that with being picked up. His son hates being touched near/on his head. My girls hate being touched when they are sleepy. They all seem to have there own little ways about them.

Latest posts

Back