Jobs - would you move if you needed one?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
I know the job market is still declining in some places. Would you be adventurous enough to move to find a job?

This area has always had more jobs than people even through the 'recession'. Now it's ridiculous, pretty much everywhere you go there are signs up. Someone noticed and put a short blurb up on CNN.

I know people move to accept jobs, and apply to jobs from a distance. But would you move to an area to hunt for a job?

I did, though I did have some friends here to crash with the first few months so it wasn't 100% cold turkey.

Nope. I would move if I knew I had a job, but not to look for one. I have too much baggage in the form of animals and stuff to just pick up and go like that. I would send out apps, go for interviews, then if I liked the area and stuff I'd move, but no I wouldn't just pick up and move somewhere because I heard there were jobs there.

I'm too old for that much excitement Tara!

ETA: And down by you? Not in a bazillion years. I LIKE my air conditioning to actually keep me cool, thank you very much.

I would not move to find a job. However, I will relocate if I was offered a position. Interesting timing on the article. I currently am looking for a new job and the hunt has me looking in areas I never thought of living in.

ETA: And down by you? Not in a bazillion years. I LIKE my air conditioning to actually keep me cool, thank you very much.
:( But the A/C feels so much colder when it is hot outside. Really!

and the hunt has me looking in areas I never thought of living in.
Oo, we've got a bunch of openings if you know anything about SCADA, IT or Controls. Company name is Techneaux, cool company, hot climate.

... and the bugs really aren't that scary.

Louisiana is NOT an option.
:( Awww, No love down here.

It gets such a bad rap. Most of the scary things moved out of state (or were moved out of state) after Katrina.

Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Lots of Jobs!
  • Cajun food is amazing
  • Cajun peoples are awesome and extremely friendly.
  • Winters are beautiful
  • Lots of sun!
  • It's a party year round
  • It is very green, everything you plant grows
Cons:
  • Summers are a little hot
  • Slight chance of hurricanes
  • .... and tornados
  • Bugs, if you don't like that sort of thing
  • Hard to find some northern foods/products

See? Not so bad... so what type of areas did you never think you'd consider living in?

I have to have seasons. I can't live in perpetual summer, I would slit my wrists. I need cold, cool, semi-warm, as well as blistering hot. Actually, I could live without the blistering hot, but since I can't find cold, cool, and semi-warm without it <sigh>.

Tara, the only thing you have different from me right now is the moisture. It is hotter than h**l up here, we're in a huge drought, all the grass is burned dark yellow. I HATE this kind of heat, and that's what you live in. I would never even consider it.

I am considering, seriously, moving to WY. I want mountains and horses, cooler summers, and snow in the winter. SD last year was ridiculous. 80 and 90 degrees in January. Pffft. I didn't run my furnace past the second week in January. I'm not saying I need 50 feet of snow, but SOME would be nice.

Hmmm, where would I move? I don't like tons of people all that much, so a highly populated area is not for me. I feel like I am smothering. Visiting the city is great, living there is not. But, as I get older, I want to live a bit closer to a city that has stuff, instead of 45 minutes away. Still thinking Wyoming. :)

I'm kind of a wuss. The thought of moving somewhere that I have no idea about scares me. I'm from a fairly small town and moved to Indianapolis for school (3 hours away from "home"). My first few months here I had anxiety attacks about getting lost and stranded somewhere because I wasn't completely familiar with the city. I'm fine with it now. If the job paid well enough, I'm sure I would consider it. I'm just not a person who likes change...though, I definitely wouldn't mind getting out of Indiana.

I'm with Peg, I wanna go somewhere that doesn't have many people. I think something ideal would be living in the mountains, growing my own crops and essentially be self-sustaining. I did have the passing thought of moving to New Zealand....anyone wanna come?

I've been looking in Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Chicago (although not on the top of my list), New Jersey has come up a couple of times, New York, and some areas of Canada. I'm heading North. South is not an option for me. I'm done with heat and I hate bugs.

since I can't find cold, cool, and semi-warm without it
Wyoming is definitely beautiful and definitely desolate.... but this temperature profile fits Eastern WA and Eastern OR as well as parts of Idaho too. Some of North idaho is spectacular - like Couer D'Alene, and only 45 min from Spokane. The summer average is 85 and the winters do have snow, but it was still passable. I worked up there for two summers.

I do miss the Pullman/Moscow ID area for it's perfect 4 seasons. You could walk out of town and not see another soul. Get on a horse and ride as far and hard as you could and never hit a fence. But the pay there was not good enough to buy a house due to all of the wealthy retirees moving in. It might be different now, I haven't checked.

There is also a big difference in how the south treats it's employees. Everyone knows there is a lot of money in the oilfields, but all industries here do things for their employees. Most provide food, get-togethers (crawfish boils, Mardi Gras, Gumbo cookouts in the winter... etc) lots of holidays and guaranteed salary minimum plus overtime. It's a very interesting world. In the north I'd never even heard of stuff like that, now I see there are a few like Valve and Google that do these things too.

On the food providing, as a tech that serviced hundreds of different clients I got to try and take pictures of all kinds of local food. The first picture is Gumbo. Secondly, they'd provide their employees with food. In our case, it's whatever you write on the fridge, with 20+ male engineers and only a couple of us girls things are deeply entertaining. Sometimes some crazy stuff shows up depending on who does the shopping.

Attachments

• Gumbo.jpg
    Gumbo.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Fridge1.jpg
    Fridge1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 71
  • Fridge2.jpg
    Fridge2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Latest posts