JoAnn Fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I bought a ton of fleece from JoAnn while it was one sale and I've heard that it can shrink over time. I know that heat tends to make things shrink the wash, so would any liners that I make get just as clean if I use a cold water/vinegar soak and then tumble dry them?

I always wash fabric before I sew so that any shrinkage happens first. This will be especially helpful if you line things with another fabric that shrinks at a different rate. Fleece doesn't seem to shrink as much as natural fibers though.

I'm planning on sewing a towel in the middle. Would that prevent shrinking? Also, does washing with cold water still cause it to shrink?

I would wash everything before you sew so if anything is going to shrink it will do it before you sew. Cotton shrinks more than fleece so the only way to prevent shrinkage is to wash in cold and lay flat to dry. If you wash first you don't have to worry about shrinking nearly as much, if at all, because it already has. Washing before hand also gets rid of any chemicals or extra dye that may be on the fabric. I always wash my fabrics before I sew anything and get extra yardage to account for shrinkage. Also I'd worry more about the towel shrinking than fleece because fleece is a synthetic fiber.

With my fleece I washed it in hot water and put it through the dryer to 'pre-shrink' it. Then I sewed everything together. Since then I wash it in hot water with white vinegar, then pop it in the dryer. Haven't noticed any shrinking since it's been sewn together (time frame: since February, washing twice a week)

I wash my liners at the laundry mat and those dryers get really hot. I haven't had any issues with shrinking over time. I do have 12 liners for 2 cages though, so I'm not really sure how many times each has been washed and dried. I always wash them in hot water with vinegar and detergent and then dry them without a dryer sheet for 12 mins on high.

Just prewash everything before putting it together. Using cold water and drying on low should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much.

Getting it to shrink first before sewing is a must!
I had my family help me do some of my first liners without washing first and then what happens? Aw, all your hard work goes for naught because it shrinks and doesn't fit anymore!

Also, don't forget to buy the non-pilling fleece!

Back