Izzy Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockWrapsody

Izzy won't get in his straw house. He sleeps in the corner of the middle shelf of his cage. Is this normal? It is the front corner that is open, not in the back dark corner.

How much is to much as far as toys go? I am not sure how much to put in his cage. He has a really big cage. I put a picture in my Introduction post.

How often should he dust bathe? Is every other day ok? How often do I change the dust and how much do I put in his dust house each time?

Thank you so much for everyones help.

Sheri

They sleep where the sleep lol, no matter how strange it may seem.

My boys have about 10 toys hanging right now, I don't think there's such a thing as too many, just what your wallet can handle!

Twice a week is good for a dust bath. Mine get one Thursday and Sunday. Every other day is too much, especially in winter, it will dry their skin out. I put 1/2 cup of dust when my boys get them. Dust can last a few dustings as long as he doesn't pee in it or it doesn't get wet.

I think your wallet will crack under the pressure of to many toys long before your chin would lol.

Twice a week is fine for a dust bath unless trheir is a special need or soemthing. I give mine dust once a week because im quite vulnerable to the dust. And they do just fine.

Chins can do do sleep where ever they feel like.

Fleece shelf liner: $10
Fleece Pillow inside hut: $15
Custom hand made super sized hut $40

Ignoring it all and sleeping in the fleece liner.... Pricless

Kits_in_liner.jpg

Houdini_Hammok.jpg

How did you make that shelf liner? How did they get in there? Izzy would love that!!

Oh, and if Izzy is not chewing the plastic shelves, can I just leave them in his cage? He tends to pee in the corner and it sure is easy to clean. Also, Izzy doesn't pee much! If he is.........I can't find it! Am I nuts?

Last edited:
Personally, I would be on the cautious side and take out the plastic shelves. Or watch very carefully and make sure there are no chew marks on them. If you do take out the shelves and replace them with wood or something and he still is peeing in that one spot, putting a glass baking dish on that spot and filling it with wood shaving makes it pretty easy to clean. It would become a little litter box for him. That's what my chins do.. pee in one spot.

And I would say chins pee alot. Do you have fleece? Because the pee would soak in and you might not be able to see it.

If Izzy has a favorite spot to go, I would try the litter box. I got two glass baking dishes and my little ones started to use them right a way (never had an accident). It's so easy to clean! Mine are not chewing on the plastic shelves either, but I am thinking of replacing them with smaller wood shelves, just so they have more room to jump around.

Back