Izzy questions again!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockWrapsody

Just to let you know that Izzy's soft poo's cleared up. I followed the advice of am member. She told me to take him off treats and pellets, only give him hay and water. It took about 6 days but it worked! He is back to normal. Now for the questions :hmm:
1) How much food (pellets) do you leave in thier bowl. I put about 1/3 cup at a time but I used to keep his bowl full.
2) How often do you leave the hanging wood chew toys in the cage.
3) How much hay do you put in and leave in the cage. I put a large pile in the middle of his cage each night and he knocks it all down to the bottom pan and then it is not good any more. Should I make my nightly piles smaller?

That is it for now. Thank you so much for your help.
Sheri

I'm glad it has cleared up. =)

I put about 1/4 cup per chin. I used to fill their bowls but found that the fuller the bowl, the more likely they will dump it.

I don't take their toys out unless they are being replaced.

I also put in a big pile and a lot ends up on the bottom, at least with my boys. I got my first girl and so far she doesn't make much of a mess. Have you tried a hay holder?

Toys can be kept in there for quite awhile unless they have been soiled by urine or are demolished. Wet wood or wet anything is where bacteria can collect. So this applies to wooden shelves as well. I'm not sure if there is a process to disinfect shelves again.

For food I've basically just looked at how much my chin eats and left a little more then that in his bowl (that has been covering the bottom of his bowl) because I want his food to always be fresh and waste as little as possible.

I would agree with the hay holder.

Glad to know he is better :) Hope this helps. I'm a newer owner too but I studied a lot before getting him :)

They will do that. I free feed both hay and pellets and have learned just how much (through trial and error) to put in each cage to help avoid waste. I have both hay tossers and pellet diggers. Such fun!:hair:

Back