I've been adopted...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is so adorable...good job taking her in and doing right by her! I am sure she will always be grateful to you for that! I do not really see any hound in her but it'll be easier to see once she is older.

Updated Shelby pics. I think she's growing longer than she is taller. I still see pit in her...

IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5385.jpg

She's getting her spay/eye surgery next month after her training classes are over.

What a cutie! I see pitty too. I love medium sized dogs- the perfect size.

I always tell my hubby that I want a corgi (or basset hound) because they are broad chested with stubby little legs, just like me, LOL!

It is so awesome that you found each other. Shelby must have very good karma (and you too).

I love this story...she is such a cutie. The shape of her snout and head is almost Great Dane but she is no where near the size. Something tells me you will spend her whole life wondering what mix she is!

She is so cute and lucky to have found you to take care of her!

We were at Petsmart earlier and saw one of the dog DNA tests for $80.00. It's something I may consider in the future :)) I don't really care, I'm just curious!

We were at Petsmart earlier and saw one of the dog DNA tests for $80.00. It's something I may consider in the future :)) I don't really care, I'm just curious!

Shelby is absolutely adorable! I can kind of see the pit bull in her in some shots, and then others, not so much. Whatever she is, she's a cutie! :)) Be careful with those DNA tests though, they are incredibly inaccurate. Seriously, people have had their purebred show dogs come back as very odd mixes. Here is a youtube video on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w Just don't want to see you waste your money! :))

Aww, lookit her with her elephant! What a cutie. (I can totally see the Great Dane shape to her head, which would make me wonder about the hound group. Something moderately sized like a Harrier or English Foxhound w/ Pibble? I say go for that test if you can get the $ together! We're all going to keep guessing as long as we don't know. :) )

She is so adorable! My vet told me that they do DNA testing so maybe you can ask yours and see if they do it there. I asked because we rescued some type of chow/spaniel mix about 3 years ago and were looking into the testing to find out once and for all what he is :)). I think Shelby has some pit and maybe hound in her. I would pay attention to her personality and see if you can get an idea of what she is from that. Like if she shows interest in hunting small animals or birds or if she likes digging/burrowing and maybe it'll help you narrow it down? Just an idea :)

She does enjoy watching the ducks and will try to chase any birds that are close enough on walks. She also has very webbed toes.

I may go get that test soon or ask the vet if they do it. :D

I may go get that test soon or ask the vet if they do it. :D

So you are still going to waste your money on something that clearly doesn't work? What's the point? That's $80 that could go to much better use than getting peace of mind on fake breed results... :hmm: But, it's your money...

Last edited:
I said maybe. It's not that big of a deal. I work for a vet who may be able to do the test for me at a discount. Yes, it is my money. I don't care what she is but if I want to do a DNA test just out of curiosity of what it will show, I will. I don't need to be lectured. But thanks for your concern.

So you are still going to waste your money on something that clearly doesn't work? What's the point? That's $80 that could go to much better use than getting peace of mind on fake breed results... :hmm: But, it's your money...

DNA testing does work. Obviously you will get some breed at some point in time that doesn't match up with the dog because ALL dog breeds are closely related. If they weren't closely related, we wouldn't be able to make mutts to begin with. Saying the test is highly inaccurate because one out of three breeds listed in that one video isn't accurate is a bit ridiculous. I think what a lot of people fail to realize to begin with is that your "purebred" dogs were mixed breeds at one point in time as well.

For mixed breeds, you'll obviously come back with a lot of different possibilities, many that aren't even in her background. That doesn't mean you won't get any of the breeds she DOES have. $80 for DNA testing is amazingly cheap and if it's something YOU are interested in doing, then do it. It'll give you a much better idea of what breeds she could have instead of guessing from looks.

ETA: It's also extremely rude to tell someone they're wasting their money on something they want to do for their pet. I don't tell people not to "waste" money on an FN 142 because they could save that money for a future vet visit. It's not a waste if it's something you want to do with the money YOU earn.

Last edited:
I didn't even know that DNA testing was available for dogs. Guess I have been living under a rock. Then again, I don't have dogs..

I'm sorry, but saying an AST is primarily Border Collie is incredibly inaccurate. Boston and Bulldog, ok, but where the heck did the border collie come from? Especially to say it is the most prevalent breed? Ok... I'm sorry, but they really are inaccurate. It's been proven in many occasions, that's just one example on youtube. If it's just for curiosities sake, and want to spend the money, then go for it. But it's not that accurate. Their DNA really isn't different enough anyway to be able to tell breed so easily from some DNA samples... The science just isn't there yet.

ETA: And yes, I personally think it's a waste of money. Sorry if it came out rude, but it's just my opinion. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. And it's not the same as someone wanting to by a FN... That's an environment for a living thing, this is a test that gives inaccurate breed results, which leaves you pretty much guessing like before. Not even a comparison... But I'm done here. This is not at all worth fighting about. I'm sorry I said anything. :banghead:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back