ITHACA Bust!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kogia

From http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s1400592.shtml

A central New York animal welfare group is hoping the public will adopt some of the 100 animals rescued from a one-bedroom rural home.

Officials at the Tompkins County SPCA say the rescue of dozens of dogs, cats, rats, guinea pigs and chinchillas is straining resources at the Ithaca-based organization's shelter, which was already full when the animals were removed from the home last week.

Investigators say the animals were being kept in unsanitary, overcrowded conditions at a home in Brooktondale, 10 miles southeast of Ithaca. Authorities say several dead animals were found on the property.

Officials say the animals were being kept by a person who was a self-scribed "animal rescuer."

Investigators haven't released the person's name.

Now what?!

There's a rat rescue in the North Atlantic States (Kim's Ark) that might be able to get some of the ratties into fosters. I don't know of a large or even medium-sized rescue up here, and since I'm in the west of the state (and broker than Tiger Wood's reputation) I couldn't do more than provide an overnight railroad homestay anyway.

Hopefully spreading the word will help these critters get into a better situation soon.

Kim's Ark doesn't exist anymore. They closed their doors.

I'm in that area (Oswego) and a board member of the Oswego SPCA. I will see if we can help out...

Sounds like a classic case of animal hoarding to me. I hope they all find loving homes but I also am worried they will be very sick, dying and in various stages of decomposition. Or maybe I just read too much about animal hoarders. :(

i'm located in new jersey, maybe two hours away at the most. if is needed i can provide a foster home to a few chinnies. if anyone needs to contact me my email is [email protected]

When did that happen Tunes? Someone recommended them to me within the past few months for mouse/rat food, so apparently all of their contacts etc. haven't been updated yet. (Though this would explain why I never got a reply to the email order I sent.)
It's been at least a year. Tracy has been referring most of the food orders to Wee Companions. [email protected].

That's not that far from where I live. I wish I could help out, but I don't really have any room for more pets. I live in an apartment complex, so there's not a lot of space.

Latest posts

Back