Itchy chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButIlovehim

I know this has been addressed in other posts. I have good cage cleaning/husbandry habits. Oddly, that's kind of my "zen time." I use Blue Cloud for dust baths. I see no evidence of ringworm. I have heard alternately that chinchillas both can and can't get fleas, and I'm confused. I do have 5 little dogs, and we've started to see some fleas this season, with the chin playing in the same general area as the dogs after their bedtime. My other concern is that I have a parrot in the same room. Can a chinchilla get bird mites? I wouldn't put any product out without being 100% sure of its safety; those bird mite protectors come to mind...again, I wouldn't use them unless a pro told me they were safe.

Normally chin's fur is too thick for fleas, but they can get them on their feet and ears, and also in bald patches if a fur slip occurs. I have no idea if chins can get bird mites. A more common cause of itchiness in chins though is dry skin, too many baths can dry out their skin, so that could be it if you don't see any sign of fleas (flea dirt). Depending on how often you offer dust baths, in most places a couple times a week is a good amount, but if you live in a more humid climate then more are needed and drier climate less are needed. Where I live (cold, dry winter and hot/warm, semi humid summer) once a week in the winter and twice a week in the summer works best.

Is it possible that the frequency of the dust bath is too much? Sam was itching when I was giving him his dust twice a week. As soon as I took it down to once a week, I noticed he stopped scratching/biting.

Thank you so much for the replies. I'd heard so much conflicting issues re: fleas. Most of the itching seems to be his body/fur covered areas. I live in S GA--very humid. I'm not sure if one bath a week would be too infrequent? I contacted my exotic vet, so hopefully, she'll have some info.

Perhaps a dehumidifier and strong A/C could work with a weekly dust bath, especially living in a warmer climate.
I live in NYC and dust them daily for appx. 5 minutes each, although my chins are all dust freaks with no dry skin issues.

Back