itching.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittanyydevan

rubys mom
ruby has been scratching herself a lot lately and rolling around everywhere as if she wants to take a dust bath. she gets her dustbath 2 to 3 times a week. idk if her skin is dry or if she just wants another dustbath. help!

Her skin can be dry if she has been scratching herself a lot. Too many dust baths can lead to dry skin. Also, chins who suffer from dry skin can be deficient in zinc, pantothenic, linoleic, linolenic acids. Chronic dry skin may be related to liver dysfunction.

Try giving a dust bath only once a week; you can also give a very small amount of flaxseed several times a week. If you try these suggestion and she is still scratching herself, you can use Herbal Remedy for Dry Skin.

Hey Brittany, sorry to hijack your thread.

Tanya, I have a similar issue with Cleo. She only gets a bath 1-2 times a week. She refuses to eat any supplements and doesn't care for rose buds. She won't eat her pellets if I put probiotics or lifeline on it. I'd love to try your supplement but this chin is so picky I doubt she'd eat it. Any suggestions for me? She scratches often but I just thought it was habit, since she doesn't take many baths. After your post, I wonder...

Other insight: this chin has a hunchback that the vet diagnosed as a birth defect. She eats more pellets than any other chin, but doesn't gain as much weight (not sure if this is related). She doesn't drink much water, and her urine has a strong smell. How are liver problems tested for and treated?

haha its ok! you can hijack my thread as long as your chin gets better!

but thank you for the advice! i'll try it and if it doesnt get any better i'll take her to the vet and see if theres anything that can help for sure!

Kate, I can send you several samples :)) (samples are free, but you need to cover shipping cost $5, Priority Mail small flat rate box). If Cleo does not eat a supplement right away, you can leave it in her cage. Some chins are just cautious when they do not have any past experience (learned avoidance/preference), so they do not know if what you're offering is 100% safe. When my girl gets something new, she ignores it for some time, then she tries a small peace; and when she does not see any ill effects, she eats the rest. Another possibility is that your chin does not like a particular ingredient(s). In this case, you can grind the supplement and hand feed. You may not have to do it all the time. Once she gets used to the taste, she may eat it voluntarily.

Eating more does not always = gaining weight. Vets can test for liver enzymes. When enzymes reach abnormal levels, liver disease can be far advanced. The best thing you can do to prevent liver problems is to offer a diverse diet, so that chins can better meet their needs for nutrients and regulate toxins (various grass hays, some legumes, small amount of grains, herbs, bark). Chins that do not get loose alfalfa hay at least twice a week are more likely to develop liver problems. Alfalfa induces liver detoxifying enzymes that can destroy toxins. Alfalfa used in pellets can not replace loose alfalfa as processing destroys some elements that are necessary for healthy liver function, and some nutrients are turned into toxins. Some herbs can prevent further damage to liver cells, rebuild cells that have been damaged; they supply the liver with liver-protecting agents.

Sorry for responding so late, Tanya, sending you a PM with my address. Thanks for the suggestion to feed loose alfalfa, I will give that a try. I just wonder if I should take her back in to get a blood panel done, that is how you would test for liver abnormalities, correct? Its hard to know what to do when the vet says she looks fine. :(

Hey Tanya, received your samples in the mail. I put a pinch on Cleo's shelf and she devoured it! So happy. The samples were generous and beautifully packaged. I could send you a PM but wanted to sing your praises on the open forum. ;) Will definitely be placing a full-sized order soon!

Back