Issues with my oldest

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToXic

Recently (as of last night) my oldest chin Alyx has been acting strange. She doesn't move much, she appears to usually have her eyes closed, from what iv seen she wont eat, and I had to fill a dish with water to get her to drink since she wouldnt use the bottle. She also appears to be peeing some form of mucus here and there. After giving her water from the dish she did begin to move a bit more and act a bit more normal, but she is still not herself, and will not socialize with Sami.

Anyone know what the deal is here?

Take her to a vet. All the symptoms you describe point to a very sick chin. It could be pyometra, a urinary tract infection - there's no way to know. I would get ahold of a vet right now.

Take her to a vet. All the symptoms you describe point to a very sick chin. It could be pyometra, a urinary tract infection - there's no way to know. I would get ahold of a vet right now.

Alright, will do tomorrow... Does anyone know a vet in calgary that does chinchillas?

I agree she needs a vet and to be kept away from the other chinchilla in case it is contageous. But She needs a vet now

Did the chin make it to a vet? Lethargy is a very serious symptom and with the rest the chin may not make it.

Did the chin make it to a vet? Lethargy is a very serious symptom and with the rest the chin may not make it.

Just got her back from the vet, along with a few meds and some critical care. We aren't sure if she is going to make it though. The vet has no idea whats wrong with her.

If she hasn't seen a vet yet - Take her to the Avian and Exotics Pet Clinic 2308-24th St. Dr. Korber and Dr. Materi are fantastic and they have an after hours emergency line.

Tel: 403-240-3577

If she hasn't seen a vet yet - Take her to the Avian and Exotics Pet Clinic 2308-24th St. Dr. Korber and Dr. Materi are fantastic and they have an after hours emergency line.

Tel: 403-240-3577

I took her to Avenida All pet. Currently she was given meds for infection, and a painkiller, as well as some critical care. Hopefully she recovers soon, as even the vet had no ideal what was wrong with her.

What meds were given? If you let us know we can let you know about the side effects in chinchillas. I hope the vet prescribed motility drugs and at least had some idea of what kind of infection you are dealing with, giving antibiotics to a chin with no diagnosis is what is causing the problems we are having with resistance. A blood panel should have been taken if there was no clue along with a full body x-ray.

Last edited:
i would take your chin to the vet that LexieHeg suggested. if your vet had no idea what's wrong with your chin it doesn't sound like they are very well versed in chin vet care at all.

i would take your chin to the vet that LexieHeg suggested. if your vet had no idea what's wrong with your chin it doesn't sound like they are very well versed in chin vet care at all.

Thats all fine and good, but I dont have $400 to keep throwing at vet bills.

She seems to know her stuff, its just that nothing was really present detailing what was causing the issue, the xray yielded nothing but the fact she had a empty stomach (she was experiencing sharp pain on her side).

I got metacam and spetra from the vet.

Last edited:
She died in my arms about a hour ago... I dont know how I would have gotten through the rough part of my life without her.

RIP Alyx.

Thanks everyone...

Should I worry about my other one, Sami? She's only a year younger, but has no vet trips on her record.

Latest posts

Back