is your food dish covered??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my3esses

I had one of those covered bird feeder dishes but my chin knocks it over constantly and when I tried mounting it to the cage its never tight enough and she'll jump onto it and turn it upside down. I was going to either get a heavy ceramic bowl that maybe she won't tip over (not likely since she even moves her chin chiller tiles around) or maybe the bowl in a ledge but I'm worried about her pooping in it. Is that an issue? She seems to be a picky eater, I am afraid she isn't eating enough cause her food is always on the ground mixed with poop and hay. Never realized how messy she would be, LOL!

Best food bowl options??

Have you tried a Coop Cup? they bolt to the side of the cage. Won't stop her from trying to sit on it but it is hard for her to dump it.

I agree, she can't flip over a coop cup but she can sit on it and poop in it.

I have figured out over the years how much they will eat and fill their bowls accordingly. They get fresh pellets and hay at night and in the morning and there is almost always poo in their bowls along with any leftover food at filling time. Sometimes I find Marble has peed in her food as well. It just happens. :)

I used to use a bowl like this for Luna:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7701

She would sit on the edge to eat (or just to sit), and therefore would end up pooping in it too. When I got her critter nation cage, the previous owners included a coop cup, so I started using that. I have it level with a shelf on her cage so she doesn't have to sit on it to eat. I rarely find poop in her food dish now and she has never tipped it over.

I use the old bowl to put hay in now and that seems to work fine. She doesn't sit on it (she must not like getting poked in the backside with hay), she just pulls the hay out of it.

I use a tiny ceramic bowl that I just put on the floor. Idgie doesn't tip it over nor does she poop in it.

Maci was peeing in her dish. I have a Midwest style dish that bolts onto the FN. I relocated it so there is a shelf over it. She an get to her food, but no comfortably perch and sit on it. Stopped the peeing problem. It is up towards the top. Rarely gets poop in there. Only if it rolls from the top shelves.

Boco used to poop in his food bowl but learned he doesn't like the taste of his own poop
After a few funny accidents, he stopped Perching on his bowl and eating he now contented sits beside his bowl and reachs in for his pellets.

Latest posts

Back