Is this weight progression okay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
So I thought that the kits weights were doing alright, I showed Josh my little book that I keep all of their information in and he mentioned it to his grandma whom I got a very nasty call from because I'm not doing it right. :[

So a little help:

Day of Birth 01-22-11:

Tail 67 g 9:46 pm
Foot 45 g 9:46 pm
None 39 g 9:46 pm

Day Two 01-23-11:

Tail 67 g 12:05 am
Foot 45 g 12:05 am
None 45 g 12:05 am

Tail 57 g 3:12 pm
Foot 47 g 3:12 pm
None 46 g 3:12 pm

Tail 69 g 9:56 pm
Foot 48 g 9:56 pm
None 49 g 9:56 pm

Day Three 01-24-11:

Tail 59 g 9:52 pm
Foot 49 g 9:52 pm
None 47 g 9:52 pm

Day Four 01-25-11:

Tail 64 g 9:43 pm
Foot 55 g 9:43 pm
None 50 g 9:43 pm

Should I start rotating them?

Every one's tummy feels round and firm, they're all warm, happy and spunky.

Also, when should I start giving Penelope baths again and when will they be able to take their first bath? I didn't see that in the kit basics post that Peggy has up.

Tail looks as though he is not gaining like the other two but seems to be gaining again might need more time to tell but i dont see how you are doing it incorrectly. looks like your trying for close to the same time every day and monitoring it closely just keep an eye on it and use whatever system works best for you. everyone does things a little differently. good luck

It is worth weighing them just once a day, at the same time every day - that way you get a proper comparison. Weights will go up & down over the course of 24 hours so it is better to have a consistent time.

If they are only 3 days old then they are still settling down & Mum's milk will still be coming in fully: more demand = more milk.
I would not worry unless Tail is not gaining by Friday (5 days) & as long as they are not bickering or losing weight I would just keep an eye on them.

Is the mother coping with the kits? If she is happily settled with them, lets them feed, & they are not fighting then I would just give them all a bit more time - fat tummies & curly tails are a good sign.

Why does Josh's Grandma think you are 'doing it wrong'?

Claire offers good advice. Sometimes weights are a bit off. But over all I see a good progress of weight. Watch for fighting. In my case a little one was being pushed out with fighting and I had to rotate them. It all worked out very well. Don't forget to offer a nice soft hay. Babies will begin to nibble hay by the end of the first week along with mom.

Keep up the good job. Post any further questions if you have any. There are many who will help out.

I weighed them more then once on the second day just because I was curious on the ups and downs through out the day, that's the only time I did it more than once. I try to weigh them around the same time every night.

Tail is actually the biggest of them all, if you put her next to the other two you can see a significant difference in size, but I will continue to weigh them as I have been.

Penelope is coping very well with the kits, she allows them to eat whenever and is always snuggling with them, more often than not I see three little butts upside down with feet in the air. All of their tails are curled. They bicker a little bit, when they're under her but Penelope makes this noise and they all stop and continue on with their business, is this something to be worried about?

I'm not sure why she thinks I'm doing something wrong, I guess according to her it is impossible for a mother to feed three babies by herself? I don't really understand.

I think you are doing fine. As long as all three kits continue to gain weight, everything is ok. If you start seeing someone losing weight, that is when you would need to start rotating kits.

It might not be my place to say, but if Josh's grandma is the same lady that taught you everything about chins before you came to this forum I wouldn't listen to a single thing she says.
No offence meant, and I'm really not trying to be mean, but I remember when you first came here you had lots of misinformation (some even bordered on dangerous) which all came from her.

Back