Is this treat and toy ok?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eversoclever

I just got a young, standard gray male and we have him all set up in a, "all living things" delixe ferret home from Petsmart. We have a wall mouted pellet/hay dispenser, outside mouted water bottle, some hanging wood block chew toys and a small igloo. The bottom is the carefresh basic blen and kaytee pellets. I have also set up a chin-chiller cooling block, though the room he is in is dry, cool and dark during the day.

I just gave him a "pretzel" willow stick and a pumice block with wood ends and he went nuts - was so happy! While both packages indicated they were safe for chins, and there was a photo of them on the package, I wanted to get your thoughts.

How often can he have these mini willow sticks? Is the pumice cube safe?

Both of those toys are safe. You have to be careful with many of the things sold in pet stores that are marketed for chins, because unfortunately most of them are actually not safe.

You can give him as much of the willow sticks as he wants. The more wood to chew, the better for their teeth.

As noted above, the toys are safe. However, make sure the ledges and his igloo are not made of plastic, as it's toxic to chins. I believe the deluxe ferret home comes with plastic shelves and ramps, but these can be replaced by attaching wooden shelves; the ramps are unnecessary. A wooden, glue free house would also be best!

The toys sound like good choices, but I did want to mention that Kaytee brand food is generally not considered healthy for chins (or any other brand that contains anything other than pure pellets). Good choices are Mazuri, Oxbow, or Purina Rabbit Chow Show.

Just wanted to say congrats on your new little furry friends. As mentions the treats are fine but please get rid of the plastic and the Kaytee food (it is junk). Also if you find your chin starts eating the carefresh, get rid of that also and replace with pine or aspen shavings

Would it be ok to cover the current plastic shelves with fleece until I get wood ones put in? What types of wood can I use? I am reassessing food and the care fresh. Thanks!

I would recommend checking out some of the people on here who make toys and chews for your new friend. There is a Grand Master Supply List on the classified section that can help you find safe and fun toys.

Back