Is this suitable for a chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkik0720

Chin-Mommy of 3
So yesterday while at the local Salvation Army, I found a really nice cage. It's on a stand with wheels, had a huge front door, and there's two doors on the top that open. It's technically a bird cage, you can tell because there's slide doors for the coop cups. I have already figured out a way to 'lock' them so they cant open.
The bars are about 1/2" apart, and its probably close to 2 1/2 feet high. It's kinda squared. It has a grate on the bottom, but can be removed, and also has a slide-out tray on the bottom (which can easily be secured in place).

It's similar to this one at Petsmart:
http://www.petsmart.com/bird/cages-stands/prevue-pet-products-clean-life-playtop-bird-cage-zid36-20912/cat-36-catid-400009?var_id=36-20912

It's not exactly like that, but pretty similar.

I have been looking for another cage that can double as a baby-safe cage (yes I do want to breed two of my chins. Yes they are pedigreed, and yes I know what I'm "getting into". I plan on working closely with their breeder and my local vet, who is comfortable and experienced with chins).

I'll get pictures of the cage later once I clean it up more. But based on the fact that it's similar to the one linked above, do you think it'll work for a chin?

I know it's a little small, but all three of my babies get at least 30 minutes of 'free time' in the chin room every night (usually get longer than that).

Edit:
I also checked it over completely before buying it. All the bars are secure and there is no rust or signs of wear on them. The plastic tray on the bottom has some stains, but I'm going thoroughly clean it several times before putting any animals in it.

Last edited:
It'd only be momma chin and babies. I have another cage (she is currently housed alone, my two boys are housed in a separate cage). The cage the female is in will be used for introductions/breeding. It's not safe for a baby chin since the bars are like 1" apart. And once I can confirm she is pregnant (with vet assistance) she'll be moved into a baby safe cage.
BooBoo, I want a Critter Nation cage, but I have a money issue at the moment and cannot afford one. I know the cost of a CN cage is cheap compared to what vet costs could be if something went wrong, but I already have that figured out (the vet and I have a plan for if anything were to go wrong, where I would work off the cost/pay it off slowly).

I went down and looked at the cage again, and it is pretty much identical to the one I have linked.

So to sum everything up (in case I confused anyone) the cage will be used as a baby safe cage and only house momma chin and babies.

I got exact measurements of the cage. The cage is 18"x18" and is 22" tall. The bars a slightly more than 1/2" spacing. It's like halfway between 1/2" and 3/4". Do they make 5/8" spacing?

It's definitely supposed to be a bird cage, but as I said before, I have modified the sliding 'coop cup' doors. It's a very sturdy cage.
Would this work as a baby-safe cage?

Back