Is this sneezing/coughing? Video for reference too

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabou

mommy of Kahlua and Pedro
I put a reply under someone else's question, thinking that it might actually answer my question, however I haven't seen anyone check that forum post in the past two days, so I'm making a post of my own to be sure.

The post is about Pedro, my heart-condition chinchilla (he had heart murmur, now not so much anymore but his heart is bigger than it was, sometimes making him really tired and breathing heavily because the heart squishes his lungs a bit). I caught him making weird noises two days ago. He seemed like he was coughing/sneezing, and barking oddly, stretching his neck and opening his mouth wide when he barks. So yesterday morning, I called the vet and was able to go today at 1:30pm. But before I went, I took this video since Pedro seemed to only be doing this on his toilet or when half-sleeping in his fleece tube (in case he didn't do it in front of the vet)
http://youtu.be/jhRnrLC8SoQ

My vet told me his general condition was fine and that he was very alert so probably not sick. However, she told me that, since the weather changes a lot recently, it could be some kind of sore throat, or maybe dust or something, so I got medication for him to see if it'll help. It's an anti-inflammatory stuff that I give orally (he doesn't seem to like it...burrito time ahead!)

So since the behavior seemed to leave my vet a bit confused as she never saw that before, I was wondering if one of you people can give me additional advice. My vet told me it looked like hairball behavior, but chins don't have hairballs, so we were both confused. She also said there was no teeth problem, and that he was eating fine since he had food in his cheeks.

Yesterday after I returned to the vet, Pedro seemed fine for most of the afternoon. But late in the evening, he started doing it again. Not as bad as in the video, one of two small sneezing then the big stretchy-mouth-bark, then that's it. After I gave him the medication however, he went into a huge fit of sneezing-like movements, and he did the bark a bunch of times.....I dunno if it's because he hates the medication? I saw him, once as he was barking, wag his tail frenetically. I'm pretty sure that one was painful...:(

Last edited:
Well this forum isn't what it used to be...I know I said Pedro was doing better, and that I actually went to see a vet for medications....but I sure didn't think everyone would simply look at my post and not give me a reply.

I'm disappointed...

Ah well, for those of you who might care, I heard no coughing or sneezing or whatever it was that Pedro was doing today. He's still sleeping but when I woke him up to clean his cage, he was jumping around and looked happy.

I think there's probably a lot of people like me- I read, but I didn't comment because I've never had a related issue. I've noticed that people tend to skip medical posts more and hope someone has something better to offer. If you've got a good vet and it's a suprise to her, people here may not know either. The best I could say is that springs coming- maybe an allergy? Wishing you good luck, and letting you know we aren't all ignoring you, I just dont know what to say.

Wishing you good luck, and letting you know we aren't all ignoring you, I just don't know what to say.

yeah I guess you're right...It's just that I remember 2 years ago, when I had a problem with my chinnie, there were so many people who had infos, who would help, who would know many things...and not just "tunes" the awesome admin

I kinda felt like the forum was getting deserted...I checked a bunch of other health issues, saw another one that seemed similar to Pedro's case, and there wasn't as many replies....it's sad if the community is shrinking, it's still, today, one of the biggest community of chin-loving people I've seen online

I'm also aware that there are many people like you and I, we have one or two chinnies, but aren't experts as breeders could be (since more chinnies mean more experience with problems I would imagine) so I can understand people checking it out but not replying

Sorry for the little fit...kinda misplaced...*bows*

Not cough/sneezing but very small droppings!!!

Alright so yesterday, Pedro hasn't been heard coughing or sneezing or whatever he was doing was, however tonight, as I returned from my family supper, I noticed all droppings were awefully small. So here I am, getting ready to give him critical care... :(

One unhappy burrito

so Pedro doesn't like much the critical care....difficult to get it in him...I'll keep trying, but I don't want to force too much in him at a time...

I gave it to him the first time, he didn't want to open his mouth....then when I was able to stick the siringue in his mouth, gave him a bit and he took some. the last bites were kinda taken in an angry way, as if he wanted to attack the siringue only to find more CC was ending up on his mouth...^_^; this is the face of an unhappy chinnie and also a sleepy one
fcffc2e8-af21-4232-8fc2-97d694846bf3_zpsn3xwrdba.jpg

I'll give him a short break for now....I'll get up during the night to give him more. he's gnawing at his cage bars right now to get an apple branch stick

yep it's apple/bananna instead of the original licorice, maybe the taste would make a difference? or adding a tiny bit of black strap molasses (to avoid sugar that's in normal molasses), add just enough to flavor it. Since I cant help more, I'm trying to go back in posts to find similar stuff. I know how much I'd worry in your place. Hopefully it helps, or you can be distracted reading stuff instead of fretting.
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32112&highlight=apple+critical+care
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12054&highlight=apple+critical+care
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13537&highlight=apple+critical+care&page=2
the second page of this one had lots of flavor tips
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11711&highlight=apple+critical+care
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5815&highlight=apple+critical+care&page=2
this one talks about where to get CC, a member, Menagerie, sells it and uses the $ to run a rescue
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5531&highlight=apple+critical+care
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5441&highlight=apple+critical+care

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Hopefully it helps, or you can be distracted reading stuff instead of fretting.
Sorry I cant be more helpful.

o.o....man I can't do a research on here...I've looked it up and I haven't found many things on here o.o you got so many results XD
I might try putting in some flavor in the CC, I did have banana last time but now I didn't pick the good one...I'll try applesauce, I got some unsweetened one here, since I think my vet isn't open today either...I'm also going to try getting some probiotics for him, if I can find the chewable ones =_= did 2 pharmacies saturday without luck....it's so difficult to find o.o

thank you very much about the links, you've been more helpful than you think! ^_^ I'll keep you updated on my Pedro, right now he's sleeping in his fleece tube...^_^;

Get well Pedro. I have a chin who was sneezing but it was not quite like that after 2 rounds of antibiotics and nebulizing treatment for a fortnight she cleared froM it but she's sneezed 3 times today and my paranoia is kicking in.

Get well Pedro. I have a chin who was sneezing but it was not quite like that after 2 rounds of antibiotics and nebulizing treatment for a fortnight she cleared froM it but she's sneezed 3 times today and my paranoia is kicking in.

it pretty much took 2 days of antibiotics and 3 days of anti-inflamatory meds for Pedro to get better, now no sneezing, just the aftereffects of the meds...
Just sneezing a bit could be because of some form of allergy due to the weather changing a lot, I've read on Reddit.com as well some people worrying about sneezing chins. Maybe Pedro had a bit more than just allergies...but just sneezing a bit shouldn't be too much of a problem I think. Unless your little lady does like Pedro, I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd keep an eye on her to ensure she eats/drinks well :)

You can get probiotic capsules from any pharmacy.... just open the capsule and sprinkle the contents over pellets, or add to some critical care mix.

Maybe you should hold off on dust baths for a while too, just in case it exacerbates the situation?

She eats like a trooper drinks a ton pees n poos. And has chewed 2 full toys to shreds over night. Seems like your right could be allergy :) over last 3 days weather went from 2 - 3 up to 17 ' 18 outside. Thanks for advice :)

You can get probiotic capsules from any pharmacy.... just open the capsule and sprinkle the contents over pellets, or add to some critical care mix.

Maybe you should hold off on dust baths for a while too, just in case it exacerbates the situation?

I never realised I could open a capsule... Derp... XD
Ill go get some tonight. And as for the dustbath, yes I'm not giving him his dusty time for now, I want to ensure he's healthy before going back to regular schedule. Thanks!

She eats like a trooper drinks a ton pees n poos. And has chewed 2 full toys to shreds over night. Seems like your right could be allergy :) over last 3 days weather went from 2 - 3 up to 17 ' 18 outside. Thanks for advice :)

You're welcome! It's mostly from advices I received myself, so I'm glad to share! :)

Tricked baby

So pedro doesn't drink much. So I've tried giving him water straight from his bottle, he let's most of it run out of his mouth. I've tried by syringe but he knows it's not his medication (he loves his tension meds). So... This morning, I mixed some of his medication with water. Then put the mix in a syringe. He drank it all! Poor baby, he's been tricked :p

(still not eating much more than 5ml of critical care... But I see him eat hay and his applebranches, and he's still alert)

:D

Eating his Timothy hay like a champ!!! by himself!!! He's still not eating a lot by himself, (I'm still handfeeding CC) and the trick to make him drink water works like a charm!

And also, as opposed to the last 4 days, he's actually coming out of his fleece tube! Just chinchilling on his shelves, but still! And I think his poops are getting bigger! :dance3:

(btw I know he needs a dustbath, he had one last saturday, but due to his state I'd rather wait till I give him another one)

IMG_20150408_223119_zpsal0zf7ex.jpg

142084db-5a9e-4164-a21a-b09530d88e03_zpsie3l2zig.jpg

Back