Is this Self Grooming?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston_

So I've noticed when the chins are sitting still, they will some times pick at their bellies. I couldn't imagine this is fur chewing, as there is no missing patches anywhere I can find.

They also seem to keep chewing after they eat hay. Is this just chewing the hay they ate before swallowing it or are they doing something else?

https://youtu.be/vngRaVWsClA

This isn't self-grooming, although they can groom their tummies sometimes. This is what is known as coprophagy: it means they are digesting their food twice so they can absorb valuable nutrients from their fibrous food that weren't absorbed the first time! Basically, they're eating their own poop, but it's totally normal and healthy. They tend to eat it directly when it comes out, as that's when it's highest in nutritional value.

Ah! I was wondering about their digestion. Herbivores tend to chew food for a long time, so I couldnt imagine chinchillas just swallow as quickly as they do without some fancy digrstion.

Back