is this REALLY how you're supposed to do it??!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxoimhis

<-- chin-chin mommie!! &#9829;

i read on another thread here that this video is how
you are supposed to properly groom a chinchilla.... is
it REALLY?? we always just held the chin chins in our
arms and gently brushed them.... like regular. but
this video looks violent and painful....

here is the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0JrGfnqBI

Did you read the video's description? It is a demonstration of how to groom a feisty chinchilla in preparation for a show - the chin is not being hurt at all, he/she is just incredibly stroppy.

Some chins are more than happy to sit on your lap & be groomed, some need gentle holding by the base of the tail & some (like the one in the video) absolutely hate being groomed.

Did you read the video's description? It is a demonstration of how to groom a feisty chinchilla in preparation for a show - the chin is not being hurt at all, he/she is just incredibly stroppy.

Some chins are more than happy to sit on your lap & be groomed, some need gentle holding by the base of the tail & some (like the one in the video) absolutely hate being groomed.

is this also how it should be done even when not in show?? the reason why i ask is because sometimes it just seems like the way we do it isn't good enough. there always seems to be little hollow crevices. not all fluffy all over like i see in alot of photos.

is this also how it should be done even when not in show?? the reason why i ask is because sometimes it just seems like the way we do it isn't good enough. there always seems to be little hollow crevices. not all fluffy all over like i see in alot of photos.

Do you have pictures? Those crevices sound like they could be fur chewing or something like that.

Do you have pictures? Those crevices sound like they could be fur chewing or something like that.

i dont think its fur chewing. its only when they turn their head in certain directions.

creases.png

maybe it's normal.... i just want to make sure because
i have seen alot of chins who have no crevices. just pure fluff.​

It is how you are grooming. Alot of people have a hard time grooming the neck area if you are not experienced.

do you have any advice or suggestions?? we want to learn all we can to make sure we do things correctly lol. i mean, should we do it like in that video??

Jessica, My chins have those "crevice" type things too. I thought it was how the fur was laying at the time. It seems the fur gets like that when they need a dust bath. I'm not sure. I've never actually groomed my chins, just gave them dust baths.

Jessica, you are about a one and a half to two hour drive from me and I pass through San Bernardino every time I go to Orange County. We should meet up sometime and I can bring my grooming kit and show you how it's done. Having hands on experience is much better than watching a video and you will get to see that the grooming does not hurt them. Chinnies just like to voice their opinions and they're a lot like spoiled little kids when it comes to grooming.

Jessica, you are about a one and a half to two hour drive from me and I pass through San Bernardino every time I go to Orange County. We should meet up sometime and I can bring my grooming kit and show you how it's done. Having hands on experience is much better than watching a video and you will get to see that the grooming does not hurt them. Chinnies just like to voice their opinions and they're a lot like spoiled little kids when it comes to grooming.

oh yes!! that would be perfect!! we'd be free thursdays through sundays. just let me know whenever you have the free time!! that would just be perfect because then we could practice and you could critique us!! lol!! =P

Latest posts

Back