Is this normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardinggamer

My new chinchilla Rin was just introduced to her new home. She loves it greatly but I noticed she is jumping into her litter tray a lot and eating the aspen wood shavings. Is this bad? should I get rid of the shavings? or is this normal?

It is normal. The 'newness' usually wears off and they get bored of it after a bit. They usually do it when you put fresh shavings in.

Mochi will chew an occasional piece of aspen. Usually it's a larger piece that doesn't quite qualify as "shavings" that managed to make it into the bag. So I don't know if it's normal, but since Aspen is a chin-approved wood, I'm guessing it's okay. Maybe try to distract her by picking up that willow ball you got her and handing it to her. Try to focus her attention on chewing other things.

It is normal. The 'newness' usually wears off and they get bored of it after a bit. They usually do it when you put fresh shavings in.

Mochi will chew an occasional piece of aspen. Usually it's a larger piece that doesn't quite qualify as "shavings" that managed to make it into the bag. So I don't know if it's normal, but since Aspen is a chin-approved wood, I'm guessing it's okay. Maybe try to distract her by picking up that willow ball you got her and handing it to her. Try to focus her attention on chewing other things.

It was worrying me but at least I know its not bad. She actually seems to have stopped and is now eating her hut which is made of hay. She loves her hay hut.

its this. I liked that it was healthy and a good place for her to go so I had to get it.

the comment on that page annoys me since it says this:
"the only reason I bought this one was because they were out of the cheap plastic ones."
but whatever I guess. they said they will only buy that for now on and not the plastic.

Mine go treasure hunting whenever I put new shavings in, they always seem to find something in there that they find amusing.

well my chin will do this all the time! he will always eat some of his bedding but spit most of it out i dont worry. When he jumps dont be afraid either. or concerned. this is normal for my chin so i think it will be perfectly normal for yours as well! you mentioned just bringing her home so she may be getting used to her new surroundings :)

Latest posts

Back