Is this normal...? She just sits on my shoulder.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaurnel

My one year old standard grey chinchilla, Aretha, is rather peculiar. She's had quite a few issues in her short life, what with a broken arm, lung infection, and being rather skinny compared to her "sister". But she has lots of time to run around, is well loved, well groomed, and we try to keep her well fed.

She's rather shy, but that's a bit normal for some chinchillas from what I understand. But the weird thing is that she doesn't ACT like a chinchilla at times. The main example I can come up with at the moment is the fact she will sit on my shoulder for HOURS while I work without much movement other than looking around. My other chin, Tina, will be the first one to jump off and run around to explore.

Then there's Aretha, who will quietly sit there and "parrot" as we call it.

Why isn't she active and adventurous like most chinchillas? I've never heard of another chin that will just sit there on your shoulder for so long.

You're blessed that your chin wants to be so close to you. Mine will stay on my shoulder only long enough to figure out how to get down.

My first chin that was mine (we had others but this was the first one that was all mine) would ride around on my shoulder all the time, I called him my parrot. I could sit and watch tv, play on the computer, walk around, and I could actually even do laundry with him on me. When I bent down he would crawl on my back, then back to my shoulder when I stood back up. He was really very special, it's not common but it does happen sometimes that you get a mellow chinchilla that likes to hang out more then explore.

Nixi and I have "shoulder time" once a day. She'll sit still for about 15 minutes before jumping down. If I try to walk, however, all bets are off. As others have said, you're really lucky yours will stay on you for that long! Enjoy it!

Mojo lives on the second level of a separated FN 142, and as an outgoing chin he takes every opportunity to be out of his cage; whenever I go to fix his liner, change food, etc. he immediately hops up onto my shoulder and will sit there while I go about my business. He'll nibble my ear, try to get at the tag of my shirt, or just chill, it's pretty neat. However, there is absolutely no way he'd stay on my shoulder if I was sitting or bending over - he blissfully explores whenever given the option. Be thankful yours is that comfortable with you, we were disappointed when we got Gizmo & found out he rarely enjoys physical contact (loves proximity, however). I haven't dared to walk with Mojo on my shoulder though, I'm paranoid about him falling or taking a leap of faith & breaking a leg...

Back