Is this carrier ok?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdiz123

Hi!
Is this superpet medium carrier ok to transport a chinchilla? I know it's made out of mostly cloth but it will be for no more than an hour and a half tops.
Also, what should I put in the carrier, food? shoud I have a water bottle if it's only for an hour and a half?

Here's a pictures of the carrier (ignore the color lol) http://www.superpetusa.com/assets/004/24781.jpg

If it were me, i'd buy a wire one from a pet store or something. Chinchillas overheat extremely fast, and there's little ventilation with those carriers. If you do use it, i'd put hay/water in there! :)

As far as chin carriers go I love top loaders. It makes it easier to get them out!

I forgot how hard it was trying to get a scurrying chin out until I got my new one, lol...the one I've had for about a couple years jumps right in to my hands...he likes being outside of his cage more than he likes being in it...:p

I've actually had this question for a bit too, what wire carrier is the best one to purchase?

I would not use that carrier at all. An hour and a half is plenty of time for the chinchilla to chew its way out of it. It actually can take just a few minutes for them to chew a hole big enough to escape from them. I would spend the extra money and by either an all wire one or one from Petsmart. they have a small animal carrier with the dog and cat ones that has a wire mess top and a plastic bottom. It is nice and has a good price and you can keep it around after your trip in case you chin needs to go to the vet.

Back