is this cage OK?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beige chin

<3~Glory & Carmela~<3
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=17342+17345+17496&pcatid=17496
Is this cage OK for my 2 chins? It is 2 foot wide by 2 foot deep and 3 feet tall. the wire is 7/8 of an inch wide. I will take out all the green things & cover the shelves in fleece so they cant eat the plastic. I will also add a level or 2 & perches. But is this a good sized cage for 2 chins?

edit: I couldn't figure out how to post the picture so i put the link instead...

I see these listed all over as chinchilla cages, the bottom pan is plastic, and unless you cover the entire pan inside, it's not safe. I'd say try to find a metal bottom cage. Try craigslist and ebay. I'm currently on the hunt for a new cage and check craigslist daily. The size looks good. My 2 boys are in a cage that's 18x30x38inches and they have plenty of room to throw poo and hay all over.

To add to what Becky said, I have to build these at work all the time and I can honestly tell you they aren't the best quality, especially if you intend to use it for chinchillas. I don't see it lasting longer than a year, so it's best to invest your money elsewhere.

I'd find something else. The money you'll put into it replacing things will just amount to something that is better anyways.

For two chins, my opinion is no. Seems a little small for two.

I would save up your money until you can afford a better, sturdier cage. Marshall are only 50$ more with free shipping at Petco and a lot bigger, maybe you want to check them out.

ok. thanks guys. I was looking at the feisty ferret to begin with but i was thinking that this is a little cheaper. I guess you get what you pay for, but i cant afford a ferret nation :( I do check Craigslist daily and i have even posted a wanted ad on craigslist with no luck... All i know is that my girls NEED a new cage. We moved about a week ago from michigan to south carolina & we couldnt fit their (custom built) cage in the car so they are in a 2 foot by 2 foot by 1 1/2 foot tall cage... :sigh:

We've used that cage in the past. While it's not a cage I'd spend the money on new, they're not that bad cages. A few wood shelves, maybe a hammock or two, and it's chin safe. Our chins didn't bother the plastic bottoms of the cages, though they had plenty to amuse themselves with the shelves and toys.

ok thanks guys... if i get the single level ferret nation will that be ok for them for a while until i can afford to get the add on unit? or else i think im going to end up with the feisty ferret.

Ok, then that's what im going to do! ...well, as soon as i get some money... Its like $150 right? and the add on unit is the same price.... hopefully by the beginning of July i will be able to get it.

Latest posts

Back