Is this cage ok? (I'll be removing the shelves and replacing them)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkybugsy

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-level-Ferret-...in_0?hash=item3a532ce561&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I'm looking at this and one similar to it with a deeper plastic base. Right now I'm borrowing a friend's cage which is rather small, so now that I've just purchased a house of my own, it seems like a great time to upgrade to a larger, more permanent fixture for my little guy. I'm making my own wooden shelves and so those wire shelves and ramps will be removed, plus I bought a bunch of cage accessories from Camphor Chins earlier today. Any input is appreciated.

That cage looks perfect. If you just replace the shelves with wood and take out the wire shelves or cover them with fleece, it will be perfect.

The cage is okay, I can not tell if the grill for the bottom can come out or not, but you could always use a fleece liner. The wheel is okay as well. It will be noisy and the running path isn't as wide as a chin spin, and my large chins wouldn't run on it.

The size is great, although i dont think cleaning would be very easy. From what i can see it looks like you would have to lift the entire cage off the bottom in order to clean the pan, and they get very very heavy with all those toys, shelves and tubes. (definately get fleece liners and you shouldnt have a problem). And also trying to get the chins out either if they dont come to you wouldn't be too easy. I am a fan of the ferret nation, it is just so easy to clean because both doors open wide up and you have access to the entire cage.

Thanks for the input, I put up a wanted ad for a ferret nation on my local craigslist, but I'm not sure I'll get any bites... Since I'm moving and applying to graduate schools I'm fairly broke between test/application fees and new furniture.. so if anyone here is around Allentown/Bethlehem PA and has an old one for sale let me know.. I'm trying to keep my cage price to around $100. Also, are there several vendors for the Chin Spin, or only one? I only found one when I googled it. I'd be willing to buy one of those used as well if anyone has an extra lying around.

That cage is very rickety. I've seen them first hand and they aren't sturdy at all. With lots of shelves, it helps to solid them up quite a bit. The wheel though, as mentioned, is going to be really noisy, especially in that type of cage.

There are several places on line where you can add another $50 or $60.00 and get a new ferret nation, some also offer free shipping. You might want to wait just a bit longer and get a better cage. I'll guarantee you'd be happier with the FN than with that cage.

As far as used wheels, good luck. They are like gold around here. The instant one goes up, it's gone.

I think you've sold me on the ferret nation with the doors.... I hate trying to get my guy through the tiny doors and they popping noise they make scares him. He's very easy to handle otherwise, but those darn doors are cumbersome. I think I found a few FNs that are in my price range and within an hours drive.. so fingers crossed, I'll have a new pad for my boy soon.

Back