Is this bar spacing two wide for a chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina000

Any bar spacing over 1" is too big for even an adult chin, they can walk through that like it's nothing (I know it's deceiving but they are really half the size they look with all that fluff, lol). What you'd need is not a dog pen, but a ferret or small animal pen. http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Pet-Products-Deluxe-Small/dp/B0013TT2SS/ref=pd_sim_199_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51E1pSjb57L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=12QVRCY3E4SZVF8R65SW something like that would be better, and depending on how you are planning to use it, you can buy the lid/floor cover (it works for top or bottom) or make a lid for it out of fleece.

Another option I just thought of is if you get a taller dog pen, you could modify it with fleece, tying/attaching the fleece on the inside (the side the chin is on) to it so the chin can't get through the bars if you are wanting a wall/barrier instead of a pen. I wouldn't cover the walls of a pen in fleece as it would cut down on ventilation, unless the pen is huge and open at the top.

I had a 1.5" spacing dog pen before, my smaller chin who weighed about 550g then walk straight through it like there was nothing, it was so funny.

Back