Is this an 'illegal treat' ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

I bought this at the pet store the other day:

http://www.kaytee.com/products/fiesta-raisins-rose-hips-papaya-treat-jar-small-animals.php

I saw it and of course it has a chinchilla on the label, and I've read some stuff here about rose hips etc..... and have conflicting information about raisins...

It's only given as a treat, they may get a few pieces at night after playtime to coax them to come to us and allow us to put them back in thier cage or after they are in the cage and finished eating thier regular food.

They have thier regular diet, and are eating well, have plenty of water and hay. Both have normal poo (and LOTS of it!) They are also peeing normally and are very active and seem to have a healthy weight.

My chins LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this stuff. They hear the bottle (I rattle it) and they come running to the cage door. How bad is it for them?

Sounds like it would be too sugary which is probably why they like it. I would stick to cheerios, shredded wheat and organic rosehips that you can often get at your local health food store.

I hear raisins are not good for chins...though I don't know if that is a consensus. I give papaya and rose hips and have not had a problem.

I bought this when I first got Tia and just gave her the rosehips out of them. The raisins and papaya I threw out.

You are better off ordering rosehips from one of the many members that sell them. I personally stay far away from kaytee. There are many other healthy options for chins. Organic rosehips, mini shredded wheat, rolled oats and plain cheerios. I also give hay cubes as a treat. My chin thinks her pellets and hay are treats if fed by hand.

Here is a great rule that is told to every member as it mentioned in every thread about treats. NO FRUIT, NO VEGGIES. Since raisins are fruit...well...you get where I'm going here. ;)

Raisins and papaya have a lot of natural sugar that chins aren't designed to digest. Rose hips are low in sugar and high in Vit C, though, which is good for them. I'd pick out the rose hips and feed the rest to the birds/deer outside.

Here the new favorite treat is a handful of orchard grass. Crash is a shreddie fiend, but so far all my boys like the crushed rosehips I got from ForCHINate Chins. I also got some nice whole ones from http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/herbs/treats/natural-treats-rabbit-chinchilla.html but it doesn't look like she's got just rose hips available at this time.

In general you can get safe treats on the forum, or in your local grocery store, for A LOT cheaper then any of the junk treats the pet store sells. You can get an entire box of plain shredded wheat for a couple bucks. Think about how long it will last if you're only giving 1 piece once a week or less.

I buy this. But I pick out the raisns and papya and put it in another container and give it to my guiena pig. I just keep the rosehips for my chin. its like 2 treat for 2 pets in 1 container

I buy this. But I pick out the raisns and papya and put it in another container and give it to my guiena pig. I just keep the rosehips for my chin. its like 2 treat for 2 pets in 1 container
Guinea pigs shouldn't be eating raisins and papaya either.

Put the cheerios or whatever healthy treat in a container and shake it the same way and they will get just as excited.

In general you can get safe treats on the forum, or in your local grocery store, for A LOT cheaper then any of the junk treats the pet store sells. You can get an entire box of plain shredded wheat for a couple bucks. Think about how long it will last if you're only giving 1 piece once a week or less.

Yep, I bought a box of plain cheerios and they love it! They now have a new favorite sound, the shaking of the yellow box. LOL :thumbsup:

Although I am not 100% convinced that raisins are bad, I have limited thier raisin intake from the treats I originally mentioned to MAYBE 1 or 2 peices a week. The Rose buds are given freely. Paypaya.....hmm..so far I haven't given it to them since this thread, but I need to research it before pitching them out.

That box of cheerioes is going to last forever...:bump1:

Chinchillas get cavities just like humans, since they cannot brush their teeth sugar should be avoided-that is a fact that people can understand unlike the digestive issues chinchillas get because of sugar.

Back