Is this a good cage to buy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QFMYWQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d2_g199_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=004HH3CESDJ8FBSKZ633&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Hopefully that link takes you there...otherwise, it is called Prevue Hendryx 485 Pet Products Feisty Ferret Home with Stand, Black Hammertone.
It got good reviews, but I was just wondering about your guys' opinion? I've decided that the cage I have for my Chinchilla is just a bit too small. Would this be a good option to go for?
Also, out of curiosity, does anyone know of good places to sell old cages? Craigslist, eBay, Amazon?

Thank's for any help!

Definitely a good cage. It's smaller than a ferret nation (about 5 ft tall) but still quite a big cage, so perfect for a chin. I recommend taking out the middle floor so your chin can run from the top the bottom more easily. The bottom of the cage is wire with a pull out tray, so it's nice that you can just pull out the tray and empty it of shavings, but the wire floor isn't great for chinnie feet so just make sure to have some tiles down there covering some/most of the floor. Also only two of the doors (on the right side) open so it can be hard to reach to the back left corners to clean, but otherwise I really liked this cage.

I found mine on craigslist for $50 I think, but it was pretty rusted and I didn't have a way to fix it up. But I'd recommend looking on CL for a few weeks before buying it new!

It's a good cage, we have two of them. I prefer the Ferret Nation, just because both sides of the front open up, whereas only the right sides open up on the Fiesty Ferret... but that's "unlimited money me" talking. They're decent cages, definitely. We're not using ours at the moment, but I'm working on fixing one up and getting it set up to be one of our cages with chins in it... I would recommend taking out the middle floor also. We have them out in both cages and wouldn't use the cages with the middle floor in. Our one is getting set up currently, without the middle floor:

hidey_house_in_cage.jpg

I agree with putting something on the wire so the chinny feetsies aren't sitting directly on it. Though, I don't imagine that will be too much of a problem, (we will put down tile or something, no worries!) cause most of our chins prefer to stay at the tops of their cages anyway.

For selling old cages, I would say craigslist all the way. We've found some great cages on there and sold some on there as well. I don't think we've sold as many as we've bought... I tend to want more for cages than people want to pay... but then, the option is also to sell to another chin owner, who would know the value of a cage that someone on craigslist might think is priced too high.

I have two of these and LOVE them! You can also split the levels if you want. I'm thinking about getting another for my ratty boys -- that's how much I love these cages. lol. The only complaint I had was the instructions for putting it together weren't that great. They had the parts labeled on the instructions, but not the actual parts themselves.

Latest posts

Back