is there any such thing as to much playtime for an adult chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri101

I was just wondering what others thoughts are with leaving chin out or a few hours like 2-3 hours? or even more in a climate controlled chin proof room with me in it of course? My main concern is she would get mad at being in the cage at me ? and what if I missed a few days so far I have had her since NOV and not missed a day she is a part of my family....I wont even go away since I dont have a pet sitter I trust .....

I usually do 60-90 mins a day when she is out of she gets tired she will chin-chill on the desk or with me.......

ty for any feedback

I agree, sometimes my chins will play and play and play and seem like they would enjoy being out for hours on end, but when I put them up after an hour, they lay down immediately and nap. I don't want to risk them overheating or hurting themselves because they are fatigued, so I usually stick to an hour or hour and a half at the most.

and pee....

and eat...

My girls are out for an hour max. I let them out once or twice a week. They are just fine.

The first thing Shelly does after playtime, is sleep on her frozen bottle.

A and B also take naps.

TY for the feedback...I figured it would be better to ask and get some others input before doing any changes.....I try to do 45 mins in the am because she still is awake all day even in a dead quiet house....and then at night around 7 .....to get her 90 mins a day....when I switch to the FN cage I will see about a chin spin because even with tons of new toys and ledges she still rattles the bars at night wanting out !!

I used to let my chin out for 6+ hours a day. I don't think that was much at all. But that was when she was in her tiny little wire cage.

I would let her out and she would sleep at my desk most of the time, then start running around and playing. I left her door open so she could go in and eat/drink and use the bathroom. I never had any problems with it.

Now with her new cage and new shelves, toys, ect, she's more then happy to sleep the day away inside her fleece tube. I still let her out for a couple of hours a day, like at least 2-3 hours, with the door open so she can go in and out freely.

Keep in mind she isn't running around all the time she is out, so she is far from over heatting. I let her out almost daily.

I used to let my chin out for 6+ hours a day. I don't think that was much at all. But that was when she was in her tiny little wire cage.

I would let her out and she would sleep at my desk most of the time, then start running around and playing. I left her door open so she could go in and eat/drink and use the bathroom. I never had any problems with it.

Now with her new cage and new shelves, toys, ect, she's more then happy to sleep the day away inside her fleece tube. I still let her out for a couple of hours a day, like at least 2-3 hours, with the door open so she can go in and out freely.

Keep in mind she isn't running around all the time she is out, so she is far from over heatting. I let her out almost daily.

This could also be a option too even I was thinking of moving her cage to my bedroom ( we couldn't have it in the bedroom with the winter woodstove) so she was down the opposite end of the house all winter and fall... even with limited playtime I like having the idea she can go in her cage if she wants too plus I feed her out of cage at playtime and theres a lot of pee and poops to clean up 2 times a day not that I mind but would probably be better off keeping the foods in her cage....

This could also be a option too even I was thinking of moving her cage to my bedroom ( we couldn't have it in the bedroom with the winter woodstove) so she was down the opposite end of the house all winter and fall... even with limited playtime I like having the idea she can go in her cage if she wants too plus I feed her out of cage at playtime and theres a lot of pee and poops to clean up 2 times a day not that I mind but would probably be better off keeping the foods in her cage....

She's in my room, so I can chill at the couch while she's snoozing away at my desk.. perfect!

Her pee'ing outside the cage was a problem at first, she never liked going back in her tiny cage even to use the bathroom, so she would just pee where she felt like it. I always had to keep towels and cleaning supplies ready, just in case.. but she's gotten much better now with her new cage!

I do have to clean up the room a lot, espeically her poops all over the place. That's the downside about letting her out so often, more mess. I just vacuum everyfew days and sweep her favorite areas where most of the poos are, it's not too much work.

I like having the idea of having her in my room, you get to spend more time with them, inside and outside of there cage!

My Rosey has her own playroom complete with wooden tunnels, long cardboard tubes, and a 14" wheel nailed to the wall....

she gets a minimum of half an hour out every night, and usually long on weekends. Occasionally she'll take a quick snooze in her dustbath, but when she's "recharged her batteries", she's back to zipping around the room :)

Latest posts

Back