is spading an option?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
i just got a female chinchilla and i already had a male. How i ended up with the female was that i bought her form someone that thought she was a boy but i checked her downstairs out after a urine spray occured and was resured i had a female and i was wondering if getting one of them fixed is at all an option?

Can you post pictures of both chins' genitalia so that we can confirm before you put either chin through the stress. The chins should not even be in the same room yet anyway.

well this is the only room with air conditioning so different rooms isnt an option and if i were to get one spaded it wouldnt be for a while anyways im not trying to rush anything just trying to prepare and i know for a fact bambam is a male becuase i have checked for ring hairs multiple times and pebbles isnt confortable with me holding her yet so i can get a pic of hers, alls i know is that i have doone a bit of research latly and some chinchillas have no problems with getting fixed and others pass away, all relaly depending on how experienced the vet is

So are they in the same cage or not? You don't need to pull the penis out to check if it is a male or female. Grab it by the tail facing away from you and take a picture of the urogenital spacing under the tail. It takes a couple of seconds and it can run to where ever afterward.
I am glad you have done a bit of research about spaying (not spading), and I would hope a competent vet would be a given, but when it is between neutering the male and spaying the female, the neuter is easier and less invasive.

So are they in the same cage or not? You don't need to pull the penis out to check if it is a male or female. Grab it by the tail facing away from you and take a picture of the urogenital spacing under the tail. It takes a couple of seconds and it can run to where ever afterward.
I am glad you have done a bit of research about spaying (not spading), and I would hope a competent vet would be a given, but when it is between neutering the male and spaying the female, the neuter is easier and less invasive.

Agree!!!

I have had 3 males neutered, all 3 survived.

Since I live in Denver less than a mile from Alameda East, my vet is Kevin Fitzgerald of Animal Planet's Emergency Vets fame.

Last edited:
Personally I think they should just be separated. This happens all the time. There is no guarantee they will even get along. You could put one of them through all that pain just to have them fight and have to be separated anyway. Keep them in separate cages and they will both be happy healthy chinchillas.

Also, why get another chinchilla when you only have one air conditioned room... yet know they should be quarantined? What if the person who didn't know enough about chins to sex them properly gave you a sick chin? Your male could get ill from being in the same room with the new female. I'd also check the gender... before bringing the pet home. Always better safe than sorry. No one should be offended by a quick check.

Latest posts

Back