Is she sick or stressed? Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelskeet

I've had my chin for three years now and she's always seemed kinda big. Not really fat, just very fluffy I guess would be the correct term. I noticed today she seems smaller and her hair it sticking out in certain spots. When I pet her today I could feel her bones which was a bit unusual. I don't know if she is sick or if she is stressed. She seems to be eating and drinking, but I am still worried. She seems to still be active as well. I still hear her bouncing around all night. I'm so scared she is sick or dying because I am just a paranoid person. Please help!

Are chunks of fur sticking out or just single pieces standing up throughout her coat?

You can get a scale that weighs in grams so you can weigh her daily and keep a record of her weight. A significant decrease in weight calls for a visit to a cinchilla competent vet so they can find the cause.
Another thing you can do is measure out the food daily when you feed her and see if she is eating enough. Give her 2 tablespoons of food and handful of timothy hay every day. What kind of food are you feeding her? Also is she pooping as much as she usually does?

I didn't have a scale at the time, and noticed my one girl started to feel a little boney. It turned out she had teeth problems. She got them filed down and was good for another year until she needed it again.

Bring her in to the vet preferably one with experience with chinchillas and dental problems. My chin had burs coming over her tongue that the vet was able to see right away without even getting x-rays done. Your chin should get them done in order to check for teeth problems which means putting the chin under anesthesia. And also invest in a scale.

Back