Is she dehydrated?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbee

I noticed that the glass water bottle I have for Hannah does not consistently give out water. I have to turn it upside down and then back and then she drinks from it like crazy. I was scared she was dehydrated so I took the top off of the bottle and just poured water free flow through the spout and she drank a lot. She will lick the water off of my hands too. So yesterday I went and bought a lixit top fill bottle. It is plastic but I haven't seen her bother it much. This has the little thing they move and it lets water come out without needing suction. But, I've tried to show her how to use it and she just licks it off my fingers like she's really thirsty. :( I make sure she gets some to drink in the morning and at night when I come home but I have no idea how much she should be drinking. I am gone most of the day. I hate spending the money on water bottles but I'm thinking of trying a different brand glass one just to see if it works. Or will she get he hang of the lixit bottle? Whew! There is my concerned rant. Thank you in advance

When switching to the Lixit, you should probably leave her old bottle in there too until you know she has the hang of the new one. Neither of mine figured it out after a week, so I started using the glass Super Pet bottles with the little ducks inside. The trick to those bottles is filling them up just right so that they don't drip.

You can try rubbing a raisin on the tip of the Lixit to try and tempt her to drink from it, and I would also mark the water level so you can tell if she is drinking anything from it. You can mark it with a piece of tape on the side of the bottle she can't reach.

Thanks so much. The bottle I had first is the super pet bottle. It doesn't leak, but it won't put water out always. I can tap it with my finger for a while and nothing comes out unless I turn the bottle upside down for a second.

My Super Pet bottles do the same thing. You have to fill them just right or they will either drip or no water will come out at all.

For the super pet bottles that I have, they have to be filled to the very top so the duck is almost crawling out. They also need to be extremely clean to work. Dust can get into the metal tube and clog it up, I use a baby bottle brush to scrub it out about once every 3 fillings. There are also rubber gaskets in the screw caps that need to be put in correctly for the the bottles to work.

Latest posts

Back