Is paper safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyastounded

<---Apple Tree Enthusiast
Is paper a safe thing for chinchillas to chew on?

How about these paper forms:

Cardboard
Index cards
Lined paper
Newspaper (I'd assume no)
Magazine (I'd assume no)
Book pages

chins should not eat paper they can get sick and they could stop pooping...some chins do play with the cardboard but more rip it up then eat it......paper will not help chin wear there teeth down as much as safe chew toys

better things to chew on would be safe woods....pumice,safe chew toys..... safe hay (which they need to have daily) if you look around the forum you will see many nice things chins can chew on Ive learned a lot from reading here this site is the best for me!

I understand that paper will not help maintain the rodent's teeth. However, my chinchillas, especially my male, are very attracted to loose bits of paper and I am constantly having to take it away from them. My question is should I continue denying the chinchillas of such paper products or let them have at it. And I will need a little more evidence/explanation of why it is bad for them. I would assume that it's bad because it will clog the chinchilla's digestive tract, but assumptions often turn out to be false.

Also, I did not ask for what other toys I could use, but thanks anyways!

I should include printer paper to the list of paper forms I am curious about.

I would not give them any of those types of paper because often chemicals are used to bleach the paper and bind it together. The ink on magazines and lined paper is not safe for them to ingest. I don't have any evidence for you, this is just my opinion. I'm sure if you wanted actual proof you could do research.

My intuition on whether or not paper is safe is similar to yours, Momenteller. As of now I am going to continue denying them paper and continue searching for empirical evidence on the matter.

If anyone has any further information on the topic or where I can find answers, please share!

Latest posts

Back