Is my chinnie skinny?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessica

Marble eats a lot more than my other chin did. We go through a 5 pound bag in about three months. Where as with my other chin we went through a 2.5lb bag of food in two months. You would think at the rate he eats at he would be huge but no he's only about 560 grams and he'll be a year old next month. You can feel his spine and back leg bones (the part where it curves when he is on all fours) but not his ribs. Except for the eye issue he's got right now my vet says he's otherwise healthy but he seems so thin to me. Based on what I've typed would any of you think him thin?

Even if he eats more he could burn it off if he is more active. Chins have different body types so you can't really compare him with your last. If he is eating, drinking and pooing and energetic, then I am sure he is a fine weight for him. If it decreases over time or suddenly when he should be maintaining or gaining (depending on age) then I would worry.

The weight of a chin isn't where you can tell if they're skinny or not. Like you explained, with the bones being feelable (which isn't a word but that's okay), that is a sign of being underweight. What type of food are you feeding your chin? I switched from Oxbow to mazuari and have already seen increased weight in all four of my chins. Sometimes it just depends on what they like:thumbsup:

He does sound a little on the small side. What brand of feed is he getting? I found with mine, Purina show rabbit made them gain about 20%, [over Mazuri] but so did the size of their poos, so I went to Tradition, and now it seems everything is perfect! A lot of people sell most brands in smaller quantities in the 'supplies for sale' section - everyone has a preference.

I was feeding Mazuri for the longest time and then I switched to Oxbow and he really likes it. Since i did the switch at around 7 months he was still gaining. His weight gain is starting to taper I guess because he is now an adult chin. The funny thing is he is pretty comparable to a teenage boy, everything is long and gangly on him and he eats so much we wonder where it all goes to because it is not making him obese in anyway.

I also tried Tradition for a while but it's not that easy for me to get locally.

I'm with Rickman, the switch from Mazuri (which I could not find any fresh) to Purina Rabbit Show Formula caused everyone in my herd to gain quite a bit of weight. It is hard to know if your chin is skinny, because everyone does their own thing. I had one chin that had a 16 oz waterbottle and another with the 8 oz. I would fill the 16 oz two to three times before I'd fill the 8 oz one. Some like to eat more, some exercise. If you've got a vet, or another chin owner you can have them take a look, but again, chins vary quite a bit. I've noticed that my chins tend to keep "growing/putting on weight" until they are about 2, so it may just be a time will tell thing. It's just so hard to say that a chin is too small or too big, because they are like us, all different sizes and shapes. If they have access to good food and timothy hay for the most part they will take care of themselves. *BUT* if you feel like something is wrong, or different go to someone who knows. See your vet or experienced chin owner close to you. I'm trying to answer this one, but it's just not an easy one as you can see. He he he. - Jessica

some chinchillas are just thinner, if you can feel ribs or hip bones easily you have a major problem but some chinchillas have a thinner body type, described as lanky. Like people chinchillas come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, some are just more desirable than others I would be worried if you can very clearly feel the back bone. especially if he looks hunched over. You can try switching food brands you can also buy some calf manna and use that to suppliment feed. make sure he is getting plenty of fresh food and water. Although Mazuri is considered an exceptable or good feed, many people are not happy with it as feed. I had a problem with it and Tradition and switched to Nuetrina.

I believe he is definitely long and lean as far as body type goes. He is definitely not loosing weight the last time i weighed him before my scale stopped working he was hovering over 520 grams then when we brought him to see the vet in december he was 560 and when we went back recently he was still weighing the same if not just a bit more. He's a good eater and I don't feel his ribs. I do feel the spine though in the areas where it curves outward the same goes for the hips. When he sits on his haunches he has some rolls under his "arms" and he's got nice round little tummy.

I think the amount of playtime they have and whether or not they have a wheel in their cage plays a big part in their weight. All of my chins range from about 570 to 680. I recently switched them from Tradition for PANR and they are gaining weight...thank goodness! However, they get a few hours of playtime every day and they also have chin spins. I would like to see them gain more weight, but as long as they're healthy I can't complain too much.

Back