Is my chin sick? Please help me :/

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momoe

Hello everyone,

Yesterday at night I noticed that my chin wasn't moving around like she usually does. I thought maybe she was tired so I shrugged it off, then this morning I noticed she hadnt drank the water I put in her cage nor eaten the food, furthermore she didn't respond at all to the fact I opened her cage. I picked her up and she feels very limp.. I'm not sure how to describe it. She just doesn't seem alert. I tried to get her to run around she ran slowly until she reached a random corner then layed down asleep. She's still pooping but no pee. I have only managed to giver a tiny bit of water and a very small amount of yogurt (she refused everything else). I checked her teeth they are yellow and straight. Her stomach does not feel hard or distended. I usually feed her the chinchilla food I find at my local pet store, she always has cardboard or a chewing block for her teeth. I clean her cage 2-3 times per week and always give her fresh food and water. I should also add that I'm currently facing an extremely bad financial situation right now. Both my parents and my sisters have health problems and I'm a university student. In terms of money we can barely afford food anymore so to pay for a vet if I'm lucky only next week. I'm honestly at loss she was fine until yesterday...

She needs a vet ASAP. Once they reach that point they are very sick and she more than likely won't have much of a chance without immediate medical care. Look into care credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello thank you for your reply,
I don't think we have such thing as care credit
But I couldnt watch her like that so I took the money I had and took her to the vet.
Unfortunately she told me that she was too sick and that being such an old chinchilla the treatment may have actually killed her.
She gave me two options
1) Try giving her antibiotics which would have only delayed her death (her heart beat was too low, she wasnt standing up, laboured breathing, wheezing and had stopped pooping last night)
2) Put her to sleep.

I didnt want her to suffer so I put her to sleep, I couldnt afford to bury her or request her ashes. They told me they will cremate her and bury her. The vet said I had taken really good care of her and it wasnt my fault but I feel so guilty. Why didnt I know? She had been sick for weeks apparently and had lost a lot of weight. Why didn't I notice this? I'm so heartbroken..

I'm so sorry for your loss, RIP. Chinchillas do tend to hide their sicknesses well, anyone could have made that mistake and accidentally looked it over.

Thank you all for the thoughts,
I'm still so shocked I miss her so much :(

RIP, this is another example of chins are good at hiding their illness ;'(

Back