Is Mork the only deaf chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a deaf chinchilla?

• Total voters

Brittany_Lynn

I like dinosaurs :3
Just wondering if anyone else here has a deaf chinchilla...or has at least -heard- of one. Attached a few pictures of Mork for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• banner3.jpg
    banner3.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 56
  • SDC13209COPY.jpg
    SDC13209COPY.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 56
Haha, I will be sure to tell him ;)

Well, Mork shakes the bars of his cage so loudly that I can hear it in my bedroom (opposite end of the apartment), which scares Rodya, Sonya, and Pico, and they're not even near him.
Also, if I clap or snap my fingers when he's doing something I don't want him to, I get no response. At all. It's kinda like clapping at a wall, actually. Lol!
Also, I've held him about a foot away and talked softly, then louder and louder, only to get no response. If I do that to Rodya, Sonya, or Pico, they look at me. Mork will just keep checking things out in the room.
If there is a startling noise, everyone else reacts -except- Mork.
Lastly, when I go to say hello to him, he doesn't wake up, unlike the rest of my chins. They hear me coming and hop up, wake up, or at least open one eye to tell me to leave them alone, haha. Mork only wakes up if I accidentally bump his cage or something jolts him.

Interesting. When I read the question, I was wondering how you'd be able to tell. But I guess my chins are probably not def, because they can always tell that I'm coming and wake up. There's been very few times that I've actually seen them sleeping.

my chinchillas have gotten so used to me they often sleep through even cleaning their cages. I honestly woulldn't notice one being deaf. sometimes I have to touch them to wake them up but nt all the time. I never gave it much thought they are happy and healthy and I didn't vote for this one butI guess it doesn't matter

The rescue here had a blind and deaf chin, poor darling.

Aww poor baby! He must've been scared all the time :( Mork gets SO scared if someone or something touches him and he doesn't know it's coming. Sometimes he bites, and I have to remind my boyfriend or roommate that it's not his fault, he's just scared and protecting himself.

The owners surrendered him because he was mean and hid all the time, after a few days in the rescue the foster Mom diagnosed it and had a vet confirm it-they worked with the chin for a few months before the foster Mom decided she was the best match for his furever home.

The owners surrendered him because he was mean and hid all the time, after a few days in the rescue the foster Mom diagnosed it and had a vet confirm it-they worked with the chin for a few months before the foster Mom decided she was the best match for his furever home.

Awww, poor guy! I'm glad they surrendered him and that his foster mom kept him. That's really sweet. :)

Latest posts

Back