Is he upset with me?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so the past 2 nights i havent been able to give my chinny his free run time because were moving and the bathroom we use is just not safe for him right now...
Well hes being really wierd
When i go to scratch under his chin which he loves he will put his little hands up and push my hand away.. But he only does this to me...
Ive been taking him out and letting him run on my bed for 5 or ten minutes as often as i can but i think hes mad at me for not giving him playtime

Edgar used to do that when he was in a smaller cage. Now he just runs away when he's tired or in a mood. I usually just let him be until he wants to play. Of course all I have to do is pull out a treat and he's all sweetness but usually I give him his peace.

Ok so i guess ill have to find somewhere to play with him...
Also he now sleeps ALOT
This started after the first few missed play times
He missed one or two last week and two this week
He used to stay up all day and sleep at night but now he has decided to stay up all night
Maybe because im not tiring him out with playtime? Any ideas?

Flea tends to sleep in shifts. He is usually active in the mornings when I am getting ready for school, and he is usually sleeping when I got home in the afternoons. Then he gets active again as I am going to bed ~11:30 and then goes to sleep again until when I normally I get up. He gets irritable and gives me the evil eye if I bother him during his nap times. It took a few days of being off school and all nighters to figure out his sleep schedule. Last night, when my insomnia kicked in and I left the bedside light on until 4 a.m., he laid on top of his house and glared at me.

Flea tends to sleep in shifts. He is usually active in the mornings when I am getting ready for school, and he is usually sleeping when I got home in the afternoons. Then he gets active again as I am going to bed ~11:30 and then goes to sleep again until when I normally I get up. He gets irritable and gives me the evil eye if I bother him during his nap times. It took a few days of being off school and all nighters to figure out his sleep schedule. Last night, when my insomnia kicked in and I left the bedside light on until 4 a.m., he laid on top of his house and glared at me.

My insomnia kicked in last night too. I ended up letting Shelly out of her cage for a second time. I think she ended up with around 6 hours of play last night. This morning she was TANKED. :asleep:

Last edited:
My boys become very pouty when I mess with their routine. I remember when I just had Pip and five o'clock would roll around and he'd start running on his wheel to let me know he was ready to come out and of course I was busy making dinner so I didn't want him out until I was finished doing that. Then he'd thump on his Saucer, then he'd start climbing and biting at the mesh and if I still didn't let him out he'd go all quiet and sit there and glare. Finally when I was ready to let him out and I opened up the cage he wouldn't come out as if to say: "You had your chance lady and you blew it and I'm NOT coming out now." I'd just leave the cage door open and eventually he couldn't resist coming out. They're so moody. :laughitup:

ometimes chins are more moody then most women...

I totally agree. Phoenix used to get extremely ornery with me but now she only sprays me when she sometimes is in a bad mood or just because she wants me to know that she can still have an attitude and I need to remember that. Phoenix ABSOLUTELY does not like being messed with AT ALL during the day and I mean just to reach in and let her smell my hand. She will nip or spray so now I just don't even bother her except if I am cleaning their cage and she will glare at me after I'm done to tell me "leave me alone and shut the door behind you, it's nap time". I usually try to stay out of the bedroom a lot on the days that I don't have school since she has a rough time trying to nap when Hayley is around. If it's Hayley's nap time and I'm folding clothes or straightening up she doesn't seem to mind. It's just the loud chaos that she doesn't like.

Sedona on the other hand is perfectly fine with the chaos and noise. You can pet her on the head or give her some scratches if she is laying in her tube. She has no problem with Hayley "helping" me clean her cage. Her job is usually to not allow Sedona to escape while I take everything out.

I wish my chinny had a schedule to come out at 5
He wants to come out around midnight which is killing me but if i take him out during the day he freaks out in the bathroom and just seems very unhappy and nervous
Im gonna start being nocturnal just to match his schedule :p

We usually give Edgar his out time between 8-10pm and he is happy. During the day he will start playing if I have to give an earlier out some of the time. Maybe if you start out times at 11 or 10 you could slowly move it back a bit and fit your schedule better.

I also usually give him the option of a second out around 5-6pm and that time depends on his mood. Usually he lets me give him a few scritches and just wants to sleep so this is when I clean his cage.

Yea im thinking about doing them around 9 and just seeing if he will accept it or if he wil continue to freak out... Today he wanted out around 10 so im happy with that and were having playtime as i type so i think i can get him on my schedule more

Well then go play with him as I am sure he'd like some undivided attention ;)

Especially if you have new chins as he might feel a little neglected.

Yea were playing right now he prefers our play time to be him running around a mad man and me occasionally helping him find a toy or being his personal elevator... Hes actually being extremely affectionate since the new chins came home today

I have two chins, Simon and Felix, with very different personalities. Theyre brothers and have never been separated so they get along together well. Felix is definitely more dominant, hes bigger and is always humping on Simon to show his dominance. Simon is just the sweetest little boy ever, he'll always jump in my hands and greet me when i go and say hello. But Felix is just really aloof, I don't know if I did something wrong, of if there's anything I can do about it. Whenever i open the cage doors and try to pet him he pushes me away with his paws and either runs off to hide somewhere in his cage, or tries to run past me and escape into my room. He also doesn't really let me hold him, he just squirms and tries to jump out of my hands. He never bites, and when i sit in the bathroom with him he still hops all over me and sits on my head and shoulders. I try to let them out every night, and try to hold Felix as much as possible so that he gets used to me. I don't know what to do, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Back