Is He Tired Or?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinAndShep

Today I have let my chins out for playtime, since it is late I only let them out for many 15-20 minutes then put them back in the cage. 10 minutes later, we noticed that one of them is not really moving and just laying there. We went to him and started stroking him, which he did not really react to, so we picked him up and he let us with no fuss, and let us carry on stroking him and did not want to escape once, he was barely moving at all which is unlike him. I've attempted at giving him a tiny bit of cheerio since he will do anything for treats, but he would not eat that. I've tried the dust bath as well, and that didn't work either, he went in it but wouldn't move. We've tried to cool him down a lot, and it seemed to work slightly, and he perked up a bit but still pretty much the same. Eventually I've decided to try putting him down on the floor, and he immediately began running away and being his normal self, but within a minute I had to put him back, and he was not up for that as usual. Once back in the cage, he was hopping around and he ate that part of a cheerio.

I've left them for another 30 minutes or so, and now he seems back to the way he was earlier but more responsive (moving away or looking my way). My other one seems tired as well, but he responds immediately and bounces around the cage, though this one is my calmer male so it may be a mix of both.

I need to go to sleep since I've got school tomorrow, but do you think he could be tired? He was running around a lot and bouncing everywhere, and I don't usually let them go, so do you think he is just tired or is there something more serious going on?

How old are they? Could be a low blood sugar seizure, they don't seize in the usual sense, they become floppy and unresponsive, or drunk like. Young chins that spaz out during play are prone to it.

If it happens again, rub some karo syrup or honey on the chins lips and see if that helps, if it does you might give the chin a piece of shredded wheat with a bit of the syrup or honey on it before play and keep play time shorter until he gets older.

Latest posts

Back