Is Having Only One Chinchilla Bad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMama

Chinchilla Mama
I only have one chinchilla and do not plan on getting another one any time soon. Is it really that bad for a chinchilla to live alone? I know they are social creatures and in the wild they live in larger groups. My chinchilla gets love and attention everyday and is let out for hours at a time on a daily basis. My boyfriend and I have become almost like "other chinchillas" to her. But are there any certain activities I should be doing with her to make sure she is always happy and never feels lonely?

It's perfectly fine to only have one chin. More time to spoil her :) some chins don't even like others and prefer to be alone. Sounds like you are doing a good job with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. As long as your chin is well taken care of and you spend time with her, she'll be fine. Many people only have one and they live long, happy lives.

It sounds like you are doing just fine.

THANK YOU. I just got 'scolded' because I don't think all chins need a partner...If they're getting attention and look happy, then they're fine. I don't think they're any less happy alone than with a pair. I feel like people humanize animals far too much, and that can get dangerous...anywho. end rant. glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's fine xD

At one point I had three girl chins and had hoped they would live as a happy herd.

As it turned out, they all HATED each other, and preferred to all live alone anyways!!

Latest posts

Back