Is having one chin a crime?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Parent

I have one male chinchilla, and had two separately caged females previously. I tried introducing the female chinchillas when they were here, and they wouldn't have any of it. I'm wondering though what you guys think: is it necessary to have more than one chinchilla living together? In your experience does having a single chinchilla limit quality of life or make a chinchilla "lonely" (although I know such a notion is humanizing chinchillas)?

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think Chinchy would appreciate another chinchilla, particularly because he is a very "spirited", hormonal boy. He's also literally jealous when I give the other pets attention, and pop corns around his cage until I give him attention. Basically, what I'm asking is, is having a bonded pair or trio of chinchillas the ideal situation over having a single chinchilla? I think having one is fine and I haven't seen any evidence of behavior deficiencies due to having only one, but I wanted to weigh in and see what you guys think.

I only have one female, who had been separated from a group by her previous owner, because she couldn't get along with the others. I have never had an issue with her being a single chin. She is very happy and content, and I make sure to give her plenty of attention and have her in an active area of the house so she has a lot of interaction with us. She does have a chin buddy if she needs to snuggle, but she mostly drags him from one area to another! lol.

As you already know, introducing another chin may not work out. Some chins simply prefer to be alone and may attack or kill another chin. So I have never even thought twice about adding another female since I know she already has a history of not getting along with other chins.

Personally, I believe if you are able to give your chin daily attention, have chew toys and other forms of entertainment to keep him busy, and maybe have a chin buddy, he doesn't need to have another chin to fulfill him.

While I do promote same sex pairs when people get a chin from me because they are social animals, I do not give anyone guilt for just wanting one chin, and yes, I think they can have the same quality of life, and be happy as singletons.

I have a bonded pair. Mr Whiskers and The Snuggler, both of whom enjoy each other's company, as well as mine.

Little Two Paws lives happily alone in a fleece covered parIdise because of his disability he might be harassed by another chin. He is my happiest, most eager for scritches and treats and always gives me the best nose kisses!!!

Having one chin a crime? No, but it seems having just pet chins and not breeding them is one, yep, snarky.

Off soap box, I have all singles and they are just spoiled rotten and I am their playmate!

I've got three boys who once lived happily togehter and now live as a bonded pair and a single. They are ALL very happy this way. And Bugs who lives along is a snuggle bug if ever there were one.

Rhino was perfectly content as a single chin. when i brought Guss home it's because I wanted to, not because i thought Rhino 'needed' a buddy. if they live together one day, awesome! if not, they can live side by side in separate cages like they do quite well now. if it ever turns out that one doesn't appreciate the other living in the same room, i have no problem having cages in different rooms.

Back